BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure on Windows 10

In the last month I built a new computer and have been having daily, but seemingly random BSOD errors. The error is always Kernel Security Check Failure and occurs after using the computer for varying periods of time ranging from 15 minutes to hours. I can't detect any pattern is what is being done on the computer when the error occurs.

Any help you can offer on troubleshooting this issue would be most appreciated.

The last 5 DMP files and System Info page: http://1drv.ms/1LnSOaE

Sytstem Details

OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit upgraded from Win 8.1 Retail copy. Same error was occuring with Win 8.1

Motherboard: Gigabyte FM2+ AMD A78 HDMI Dual-Link DVI D-Sub UEFI BIOS mATX DDR3 2133 Motherboard GA-F2A78M-HD2

CPU: A10 7870K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory Kit (CMY8GX3M2A2400C11R) - currently only 4GB installed, see below

Harddrive(s): Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) Solid State Drive (SV300S37A/120G)

Old SATA drive from a MacBook Pro reformated - currently disconnected as part of troubleshooting.

Optical Drive: Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive IHAS124-14

Things I have tried:

Memtest - full scan comes back good

RAM: The RAM is 2x 4GB sticks. I have tried every combination of single (4GB) or both (8GB) sticks in both motherboard slots. Last week I thought removing one of the sticks and going down to a single 4GB stick solved the issue, but after a few days I am getting the same error again. That is probably down to limited usage during the week I thought the problem was solved. I have another set of the same RAM new in box that I haven't tried yet.

Malware Byes - full scan came back clean

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Unplug all external devices and restart the computer to check if this helps. Ensure to install any pending updates and also update all device drivers from Device Manager.

Once this is done restart the computer to check if this helps. You may also visit the computer manufacturer’s website to get the latest drivers for your computer model.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver). 

Please run these this test to find which driver is causing the problem.  Please run verifier first.  You do not need to run memtest yet unless verifier does not find the cause, or you want to.

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!  If you do not know what this means you probably are not

1-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick responses. Here are the results from when I followed the instructions from both suggestions.

1. Checked all drivers via Device Manger. All were up to date with the exception of one, AMD High Definition Audio Device. Windows detected a new version and updated automatically.

2. Enabled Driver Verifier per the instructions on the Wiki you linked to. Upon reboot, received BSOD with the following error message: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (amdkmpfd.sys). This was during the Windows boot sequence, never made it to the logon screen. Reset and got the same error at the same point three times in a row. Rebooted to Safe Mode, disabled Driver Verifier and was able to fully boot into Windows. Checked for DMP files to upload here and no new ones were created from the latest crashed. The latest DMP file was from before Driver Verifier was enabled (both minidump and full memory dump).

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1-Up to date does not mean un-corrupted

2-We really need the DMP files for without them I am just guessing.  Can you upload whatever you have anyway?

Related to amdkmpfd.sys AMD PCI Root Bus Lower Filter from Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed the instructions as closely as I could. In Device Manager, I found amdkmpfd.sys was the driver for "PCI Bus" under System devices. I uninstalled the driver via device manager. I also uninstalled the driver for the display adapter (AMD Radeon R7 graphics) as that had driver files that were named amdkmpfd.ctz, amdkmpfd.itz, and amdkmpfd.stz.

It was not clear to me anywhere on the AMD website where the specific drivers could be acquired, there is a whole suite of drivers called AMD Catalyst™ Driver which is for the A10 series APU that I have. I ended up rebooting the machine without reinstalling either driver and upon reboot, the PCI bus driver was now C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys instead of the previous amdkmpfd.sys that was shown for the drive file for the PCI bus and the R7 driver reinstalled automatically with the latest version (version number matches that stated on the AMD website as the current version)

At this pont, I have not had the machine show the Kernel Security Check Failure since these latest actions, but I have not been using it long. I did turn the Driver Verifier back on to see if I got the same issue as in my August 22nd reply. The machine still gave a BSOD error at Windows bootup, but this time there was no driver listed.

Full error message: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Here is the DMP file that was created after this error. http://1drv.ms/1V2RtI7

I rebooted to safe mode, turned off the Driver Verifier, restarted, and have been stable for the last 30 mintues.

Thanks

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Driver verified and related to your video driver ( atikmpag.sys)  I would go into device manager (win key +"X">device manager) display driver>right click>property>driver>roll back to previous version

There is a known problem with the video drivers that windows update is downloading.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this (rolled back the driver) and things seemed stable during intermittent use over the last week. Yesterday (Sep 1) and today (Sep 2) I have had a total of 3 BSOD. After the one on Sep 1, I went back and checked the video driver again and it had updated to a new driver automatically. I rolled it back again last night, but still two more BSODs today and I confirmed that the driver is still rolled back today.

I have uploaded the 3 DMP file as a zipped file at http://1drv.ms/1LnSOaE

090115-13484-01.dmp (Sep 1) had an error message of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

090215-12218-01.dmp (Sep 2) had an error message of Kernal Security Check.

090215-10546-01.dmp (Sep 2) had an error message of DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Thanks for your continue support.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The file name at the above link is "DMP Files - September 2.zip"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Suspect you gave me the wrong link as the newest DMP @the above link is from August 20
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this one - http://1drv.ms/1KJAE22

There should be 2 zip files and a lone .DMP file. The latest files are in DMP Files - September 2.zip. Hope this works. Sorry about the error.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2021 Views 113,669 Applies to: