Wired Local Area Connection missing from Network and Sharing Center Windows 10

Somewhat frustrated as my wired LAN connection has disappeared from the Network and Sharing Centre in Windows 10 and am unable to connect to a network through it.

Device Manager identifies the adapter as up to date and working. Tried the uninstall/scan for hardware changes fix suggested elsewhere but to no avail.

I am relatively new to the PC world. Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Your enquiry suggests that everything was working well in Win10 and suddenly you've lost connection.   As an initial effort, do you maintain a LAN connection through an external modem/router?   If so, are all the lights on, that should be on or flashing when data is received/transmitted?

Assuming that possibly only one or two lights are on, then your modem/router has lost connection to the network.   Have you tried unplugging the power cable to the modem/router.   Do so and then after a minute, plug it back in.   After a few seconds, other lights should come on.   Does this initial attempt fix your internet connection?

Others may pipe in with other suggestions after you respond to the above. 

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Chriso747 for your responses.

I am able to maintain a network connection through the wireless adapter. I can also connect through the Bluetooth and Cellular adapters. Its just the Ethernet that has disappeared.

Sorry this didn't help.

So, your Device Manager shows your network adapter and that it is working properly.   Do you see that adapter in your Network and Sharing Center (go to Settings - Network and Internet - Ethernet - Change Adapter Options)?

So if you see it there, what you're saying is that you don't see the 'Local Area Connection - Connected' icon at the top of the Ethernet page.   Is that correct?

Then have you tried clicking on Change Adapter Options (may need to try clicking twice on it, as I do on mine) and doing a "diagnose" and see what transpires?   You can also see the 'Status' of the adapter and examine its connectivity status.. 

If all the above checks out and you still cannot get an Ethernet connection, maybe try to to 'Setup a new connection' (go to Network and Sharing Center - Set up new connection).

Hope you get some success.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.  
I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.  
We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, for the late response.  
I'd be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to follow these Microsoft article links, provided below and check, if it helps. 

Why can't I get online?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/getstarted-why-cant-i-get-connected

Why can't I find a wireless network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/cant-find-wireless-network#1TC=windows-8

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Please also try to refer to the article, created by Yaqub K, replied on August 30, 2013, to fix your issue.

Wireless system tray icon disappears when wired connection is present:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/wireless-system-tray-icon-disappears-when-wired/f8d3068a-2b00-4e00-8b53-b9d066cccdbf

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both for your advice.

Unfortunately none of the suggestion have helped which tends to suggest to me it may be a faulty Ethernet card which is unusual as the machine is only 3 months old.

Its off to the shop latter this week (still under warrantee) to see if they can fix and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Treeman

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Check "Network Tray SSO" c:\windows\system32\pnidui.dll if exists.

Check/Update registry settings.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellServiceObjects\{C2796011-81BA-4148-8FCA-C6643245113F}]
"AutoStart"=""

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2020 Views 24,462 Applies to: