Windows 10 wifi not staying connected

I have an HP Spectre x360 laptop that was purchased with Windows 10 approximately 3 months ago.  For the first several weeks I had no issues connecting to the internet using my home wireless router.  Then something went wrong because now I am having issues connecting to the internet.  At times I will connect for a few seconds and then get "No internet" and other times I cannot connect at all.  I have restored my machine to factory settings multiple times and removed the McAfee anti-virus software from the laptop.  I've also removed and reinstalled the latest network driver multiple times. 

When I use the troubleshooting feature it tells me there are missing network components.  I generated a event log report and the last event that caused a disconnect reads as follows:

WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully disconnected from a wireless network.

Reason: The network is disconnected by the driver.

I've tried to connect to the internet using a couple other home wireless routers and get the same negative result.  Although, I am able to connect to the internet successfully using my Verizon Hotspot and through a secure WPA2 connection. 

I'm running Windows 10 Version 1511.  My network driver is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2020 Views 8,144 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi Bama

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

We understand your concern and will certainly assist you to fix it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and will appreciate the troubleshooting done by you.

The issue you face might be due to some network components either going corrupt or missing.

We would like to inform you that, WLAN AutoConfig is a service that configures wireless security and connectivity settings. WLAN AutoConfig configures Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 802.11 wireless adapters for connectivity to ad-hoc wireless networks, small-office wireless infrastructure networks, and for networks that provide 802.1X-authenticated network access. When enabled, WLAN AutoConfig settings apply to all IEEE 802.11 wireless network adapters that are installed on a computer.

To troubleshoot your issue, please follow the below methods.

A service may depend on the one or more services running on the computer. So, if a service is not working properly, then we should also check its dependency services and make sure that they are running properly on the computer.

Method 1: Check the Dependency Services of the WLAN AutoConfig

Please follow these steps:

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard to open the “Run” command box.
b) Type “Services.msc” in the “Run” command box and press “Enter”.
c) Search for the “WLAN AutoConfig”service from the list of services.
d) Double click on it to open its properties.
e) Click on the “Dependencies” tab and make a note of the services listed there.
f) Now, check if these services are running with the startup type “Automatic”.
g) If not, restart those services and change their startup type to “Automatic”.
h) Restart the computer and check if the issue still persists.

Method 2:

Let’s reset the winsock entries and TCP/IP stack and to troubleshoot the issue further.

Follow the steps:

a) Press Windows Key + X together and select Command Prompt (admin).

b) Type the following command and hit Enter after each:

netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)

netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)

Please let us know if the issue persists or you need any further assistance.

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.