Windows 10, Version 1809. Network does not show computers

In Win10, v 1809 I go to "Network" in file explorer and no computers are showing - neither my computer nor other computers on the network.

I was able to find the ip address of the computer I was searching for and successfully ping it via command prompt.

Any ideas?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Galileo1564, 

The problem appears to be fixed in the new Window 10 V 1903 build 18362.116 just released to general users on 5/21/2019.

I upgraded all my PC's from  v 1809 build 17763.529 to v 1903 build 18362.116 and the PC's that were previously failing with 1809 are now working fine with the workaround disabled in Task Scheduler.

All my PC's are showing up in the network and keep showing up normally after PC restart.

Unfortunately the bug is still present with Windows 10 preview 20H1 build 18898.1000.

Since it appears to be fixed with 1903 I hope they add the same fix in the next 20H1 insider preview.

As you can see, I have not checked my Outlook Email account in a very long time.   I am not supporting the church network that was having that problem.  But I am now supporting a different church P2P network and they are still having the same problem.  I will look at the suggested problem bandaid on the new network.  The workaround for the employee users is to type in the search box the computer they are trying to access.  Doing that it immedily brings up the compter on the network.  I then showed the user how to right click and pin the network computer they are try to access to QUICK ACCESS.  This bandaid is a quick fix for the problem.  So the problem has not been fixed even up to the latest 1909 verson.    But thank you for responding and giving me another workaround. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave M121

I Sanna day thank you for your help,  on the latest update 1903 , windows was uninstalled func. Discovery hosts, and the other three were manual, 

Now everything works fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even to this day June 9, 2020 and after the 2004 update, Network discovery does not work in the file browser.  If you know the computer name (\\windows10Desktop) it will find it however, the name resolution feature still does not function with windows 10.

Seems to be a completely ridiculous bug that Microsoft must know about yet fails to address the fix.  Why is this feature not working?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even to this day June 9, 2020 and after the 2004 update, Network discovery does not work in the file browser.  If you know the computer name (\\windows10Desktop) it will find it however, the name resolution feature still does not function with windows 10.

Seems to be a completely ridiculous bug that Microsoft must know about yet fails to address the fix.  Why is this feature not working?

The problem has been on and off intermittently through the various updates.

Now I have 5 PC's updated to Win 10 Pro,  version 2004, Build 19041.329 and the problem is still occurring on 2 machines connected via Ethernet,  unless I use the FDResPub restart workaround described earlier in the thread, or I enable Remote Desktop.

The feedback hub is full of reports about this bug, but MS seems to be ignoring it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why is this feature not working?

Windows 10 home/Pro 

Network discovery does not work in the file browser.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Win10, v 1809 I go to "Network" in file explorer and no computers are showing - neither my computer nor other computers on the network.

I was able to find the ip address of the computer I was searching for and successfully ping it via command prompt.

Any ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No one has any successful fix for this concern. Some have made changes and said they fixed the issue however, an equal number or greater of people have said that fix did not help. There are many "fixes" out there for this concern but none of them are proven to work for everyone. 

A computer tech went so far as to say "its possible your network card drivers are out of date". I thought about that and responded "how would that have anything to do with it when network discovery worked fine with all previous versions of Windows including Windows 10 up until one of the Microsoft updates made this issue occur"?  

No one really knows what Microsoft did to turn off network discovery. It obviously has something to do with name resolution because anyone can type in the file browser \\computer name and windows can then see that computer. Problem is, you cannot browse for computer or view the computers on the network, which is what everyone is concern about. I can see other network devices on the network but not computers with windows 10.

Microsoft should truly address this problem as lots of people have more than one computer on their home network and many businesses also. I use another computer as a file server which is usually always on yet, I have to type in the \\computername to connect to it which is rather lame.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 3 computers but only one have the problem and it seems to come back every time there is an MS update, sometimes there is also a network card update available which on a couple of occasions have fixed the issue (like now after the latest MS update)

Sometimes I have managed by reinstalling (repair) the network card drivers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As folks have reported in the past, some of the unofficial fixes work for some machines while most machines they do not.  I have the latest in hardware Intel 8700, Asus Z390E (w/ Intel gigabyte LAN) and a fresh install of Windows 10 from last week yet, no changes on the network discovery issue.  I also have a Sandy Bridge (Intel LAN) machine and a socket 775 Intel 9550 (Marvell Gigabit LAN) that both suffer from the same concerns with network discovery working as it should, via browsing.  All machines have the latest bios, drivers etc. Still nothing helps all of these machines which tells me, the fix is going to have to come from Microsoft. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2021 Views 16,531 Applies to: