Windows 10; Network Name

Just started up a Windows10 desktop.....  Its connected via Ethernet (Wired).  When you place your mouse pointer over the Network symbol located in the Taskbar on the right side it shows "Network 2"  

I would like to change this to Just "Network" as was and is the case of all my prior PC.  Under Win7 you were able to click on the Little Network House in the Network and Sharing Center and there you could change the Network Name.  I found where I can change the adapter name, ie, it now shows Local Area Connection"...but that's not the name I want to change.  

In Windows 10 Home, how do I change "Network 2" to Just "Network"

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2020 Views 61,311 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Your directions allow me to change the name of the adapter....right now looking at the adapter it shows

Ethernet

Network 2

Realtek PLle GBE....etc

When you click on Rename....only "Ethernet" turns blue to rename it;...Network 2 does not turn Blue..... and that's the one I was referring to that I want to rename in my original Post

Found it!!  You'll have to edit a registry entry, as follows:

Press Win+R keys, type regedit and click Ok or press Enter

Click Yes to allow regedit to make changes

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Under that branch you'll see one or more CLSIDs (long strings of characters surrounded by { }).  The last key in each one should be called "ProfileName".  Click on each CLSID until you find the one with the ProfileName that matches the network you want to change.  Right click on the words "ProfileName" and choose Modify...  Change the Value data to the name you want to give your network and click Ok and then close Regedit.  Your network has been renamed!

Note that while the name changed immediately in Network and Sharing Center, I had to reboot before the bubble that pops up when hovering over the Ethernet icon in the tray showed the new name.

296 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.