Windows 10; Laptop won't pick up my wifi

The issues i'm having is my laptop picks up other wifi signals but will not pick up my own. 

I know its not the router because other people are connected to it, super confusing because all my neighbors also have the same type of routers since the complex provides them and it picks up theirs but not mine. Please help!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that Windows is unable to recognize the wireless network.

to be able to assist you better, provide us few more details on the below questions.

1. Is the router you are referring to is a wireless?

2. Do you use WEP encryption?

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Follow these steps to run the windows in built troubleshooter:

a)      Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b)      Click on Troubleshooting tab.

c)      Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d)      Select the Network Adapter option from the list.

e)      Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Method 2

When connecting to a broadcasting network, much of the network configuration is done for you automatically. All you have to do is enter a password. When connecting to a hidden network you'll need to gather all of the information and enter it in manually. Please follow the below steps.

• Open Network and Sharing Center.

• Click on "Set up a new connection or network".

• Select "Manually connect to a wireless network" and click on "Next."

• Enter the security information for your network in the spaces provided, as follows:

1. Enter the SSID in the network name field.
    2. In the security type field choose the type of security used by the wireless network you want to connect to. Some routers may name this authentication method. Depending on the security type you choose, Windows may or may not ask you to select the encryption type.
    3. In the security key field, enter the password used by the wireless network.
    4. If you don't want others to see the password you type, check the box that says "Hide characters".
    5. In order to connect to this network automatically, you should check the box that says "Start this connection automatically".
    6. You should also check the box that says "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting".

Method 3

Download and install any pending Windows Updates and also refer to the below Microsoft Help Article written by one of our MVPs, Andre Da Costa, on Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Additionally, I would also suggest you to refer to the below helpful links for more information.

Why isn't Windows finding my Bluetooth or other wireless device?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

Manage wireless network profiles

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

Note: Links relevant to windows 8.1 also applies to Windows 10.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately none of this helped.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, this device is wireless. 

2. I have no idea what WEP encryption is.

Method 1:

I ran the troubleshooter and no issues were found.

Method 2:

Although I have no idea what the SSID is, there is no sticker on my router like ive seen on others, I just entered the router name, "MP271302", there is a sticker on the router that says that. I entered the password and checked both boxes. This process told me that MP271302 had been added but it still does not show up for me to connect to.

Method 3:

I went through all the steps listed in Andrea Da Costa's article and again everything is up to date.

The two links at the bottom also provided no new information that I have not already tried.  

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. Tried everything above without success. Has anybody found a solution?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How can one download and install uodates without an internet connection? Shouldn't we be deleting the previous stored wifi connection so it will show up in the list? How to do that?

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My dell inspiron laptop ran windows 10 creator update which seems to have failed partway through.  now the laptop wont connect to the internet although the wifi card utility software is showing mine and several other nearby routers. I've bought a usb wifi device which also picks up the routers but wont connect to internet or showup in windows 10 unless I run its utility program. Similarly the ethernet connection wont work. I thought it might be an incompatible broadcom driver but thats not the case it seems. 

I've tried several recommended fixes but none of them work.

Without an internet connection it seems windows 10 can't run any repair solution that won't involve a clean install and me losing several hours of previous installations.

is the solution Linux?

The  windows 10 update seemingly did not create a restore point so I can't recover a previous working condition?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was having the same problem and for the life of me, this odd problem could not be solved no matter the troublshooting i did. I upgraded the drivers, uninstall and reinstall them but still i was picking up all other wifi signals in the area except mine. I went in device managment and found a host of minport adapters and uninstall but still nothing. I finally deceided that am gonna disable all drivers/devices i dont use so i disabled my blutooth adapter and immediately it showerd. I dont know if its some kinda interferance but it just didnt make sense becase i was picking up other signals. So go ahead and try disable blutooth and see what happens.

Best,

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for trying to help.    I gave up and did a reinstall but somewhere along the line Windows 10 lost the digital authorisation and I've now got an unauthorized OS running on that laptop whereas a sony vaio hasn't had the same problems but it has fouled up the way office 2007 runs (or doesn't).  seems to be a problem of no support for Dell Inspiron laptop of that model?

Just debating whether to go over to linux on that equipment.   Having read several forecasts that Microsoft are going over to 'rental' of their software such as office 365  it seems like a cheaper bet.

Seems to me all the new boys or girls at Microsoft couldn't understand the original programming, started all over again and making the same mistakes re security wormholes. Hence, the constant updates and providing functions I don't want anyway.

Cynical......me......yes

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same problem. My wifi is ok with my smartphone but mu laptop can't see it. My laptop can see all the wifi all-around.

This occurred four days ago after the last update af W10

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem after installing updates! 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I'm not alone with this problem. This is a Microsoft bug

I added to my wifi Router a wifi extender. this resolve the problem but not the bug.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 77,703 Applies to: