Windows 10 keeps dropping my Wifi signal

I've updated to Windows 10 and I keep losing my Wifi signal. None of the other devices in my home are having this problem. I need to reset my router for it to come back. I can see 10 other near-by networks and even my TV's wifi but my home network system goes missing until I reboot the router. It has happened 3 times in the last 12 hours.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I bought this New Asus laptop with Windows 10 pre installed and what a pain in the @#$.

same issue as well, it drops my WiFi connection in the middle of my work and have to try and re connect. I can go to a public WiFi connection and not have any issues. my router is new, updated and works just fine on my Tablet and Cell phone. (with multiple devices connected).

I have the Asus laptop too and a BT Router Hub5 which has apparently been buggy lately and causing a lot of problems. Now and then my internet drops and I lost other things too like my chromecast, my phone and tablet, but mostly my laptop. I discovered just putting the laptop on sleep for a few seconds [so that it turns off and rests] and then turning it back on usually connects me again. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I got in contact with people who went over my laptop and NOTHING was wrong with the laptop which means it's either the router or windows 10 - most likely windows ten, but putting your laptop into sleep mode for two minutes allows you to avoid losing work and SHOULD connect you back to the internet. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Found this to work for me when Wi-Fi was dropped.

***** Control Panel > System & Security > Administration Tools >

Computer Management > Services & Applications > Services

Scroll down this list to find "WLAN Auto Config" Automatic

Double click on "WLAN Auto Config" Automatic on the General tab
      Go to "Startup type"
      From drop down menu, select "Automatic". Reselect even if "Automatic" shows in drop down menu box.
      Under Service Status click on "Start"

Then "Apply" these settings and exit from all open control panel windows and Restart.

***** This should then allow Windows to set the required bindings.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much....i have been plagued with this problem for months...thinking it was my ISP. So far so good....your solution is working. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have Asus laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled.

I have followed all 7 pages of previous instructions & tips... & so far all is well after 45 mins now.

My problem seemed to be Lappy trying to connect to a BT-Wifithith-Fon Open network every couple of minutes, as soon as that signal became stronger than my house Wifi.

Anyway followed all previous instructions & hopefully cured. (Device manager, power setting etc..)

The most accurate statement previously read was that of Windows 10 being **** !   Wish I had the option to go to Win 7 or even better a Mac !

Been 24 hours & it did knock off line again once.  I tried the previous tip of putting Lappy into sleep mode for a couple of minutes, then turning on again, & that worked !    Its still not the ideal solution to something which should not be happening at all, but OK as a temporary fix for a frustration problem.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BACKGROUND:

After I upgraded my HP 2000-299WM Notebook to Windows 10, I began to lose its network adapter 25-50% of the time when I turned on my PC (including when it awoke from a long sleep mode.  From what I understand, at this time there is no hibernate mode in Windows 10 and an extended sleep mode equates to the PC just turning off rather than going into a hibernate mode, necessitating it to be turned on again.)

As suggested I changed the power options option button, plus as suggested I also used system recovery a few times to regain the network adapter.  I also, as suggested, sometimes I tried turning the computer off a few minutes to reset things and then turned it back on.  Also, as suggested someplace, I deleted Skype which some said could interfere.  All these worked once in awhile, but losing the network adapter would come back. 

I also checked HP's site for updated network adapter drivers, and found some, and downloaded them but was not sure if they covered Windows 10.  Also, as HP suggested on its site, I updated the network adapter drivers via the Device Manager and through Windows Update...when the network adapter periodically reappeared after a restart.  Each time in time I again lost the network adapter.

I also saw HP's website disclaimer that any HP PC prior to 2013 may not have HP drivers available for it for Windows 10, suggesting a new PC might need to be purchased.  And, read others' frustrations.

So I went to Office Depot/Office Max to purchase a new PC to be done with this matter. 

SOLUTION:

However, upon talking to the sales person to buy a new PC at Office Depot/Max, he suggested simply purchasing a new external network adapter (by Netgear or by TP-Link) that plugs into the PC like any USB device (and comes with corresponding drivers on a disk or downloadable from the internet.)  The cost being $34 for the Netgear one or $39 for the TP-Link one.  He suggested it would be cheaper than buying a new PC and should resolve the problem.  He also said to simply return it for a refund if it didn't work and, then...if needed buying a new PC. 

So I purchased a TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter for $39.  Went home and plugged it into a USB port on my PC.  Stuck the CD into the PC with the devices drivers and then removed it when downloading the drivers was completed, and...

At that point when the built in network adapter would disappear, the TP-Link via the USB port/external wireless adapter would sure enough kick in and my PC would work.  Realizing, I no longer needed to go through any hassle with the built in network adapter, the next time it again appeared on turning the PC off and on, I simply located the built in network adapter and disconnected/disabled it.  Now my PC works great solely through the TP-Link external wireless adapter plugged into the USB port. 

The only difference is the blue light on the PC no longer ever comes on.  It stays orance.  But, instead the external TP-Link network adapter blinks/flashes when the PC is connected to wifi.  It has yet to not come on!

Problem is now officially resolved for me and I saved the money of having to purchase a new PC...and, the frustration of trying to get the built in network adapter to not disappear after Windows 10 was installed. 

Hope this solution I experienced helps others.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My laptop kept on dropping off the wireless and I had to restart the PC to reconnect for just a few minutes before having to do it again.   I found that by unclicking  the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in the wireless adapter properties under Power management tab, worked for me.  Why that would even be an option beats me.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm thinking it's not Microsoft but Comcast.  It seems that every time it happens to me I eventually get a Comcast screen asking me to sign into and install there security app even though I have.  The installs are probably do to updates but it's very annoying.  I never dad this problem  with Verizon, but it seems if you don't have the latest update of Comcast they kick you out.  I'm going to call them and complain.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

stop using microsoft edge {internet explorer}... worked for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was having the same problem.  Found a video on turning off the power savings feature on the network adapter (through device manager).  I have tried this and so far so good (fingers crossed).  Hope that helps.

I tried that too. It didn't help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. The only device in our home that has a problem keeping wifi internet connection is my Microsoft Surface with Windows 10 os.  I have had this laptop 11 months and no problems with staying connected to wifi until this past month. ??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2021 Views 45,599 Applies to: