Windows 10, Edge does not connect to the internet, Cortana does not connect to the internet, Windows store error 0x80072EE7 and cannot activate windows 10.

What I think is happening is that something is blocking windows apps to use the internet, if that makes sense, but read on to get a more detailed version of what is happening to my windows apps.

Firstly, I will talk about my experience with the windows store, back in Windows 8.1 my windows store never worked, it always showed the error '0x80072efd' and because I did not really use the windows store much, I just stopped trying to fix it, I tried many of the solutions from this, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_store/error-code-0x80072efd-in-windows-81-store/80318c03-6316-4096-b651-6a29c85a094d  and in the end I gave up as none of them worked and because Windows 10 was only a few months away, I thought that it would fix itself during the update, but I was wrong it did not fix itself and now gives the error code '0x80072EE7' and because windows 10 is new I can't find any fixes, so does anyone know what is happening ? 

So now to Edge, when I open it, it displays a search box in the middle and it also has the back buttons, etc., but when I click search, it says, ‘Hmm, we can't reach this page.’ But my old browser firefox works perfectly fine, but I really want to see the new Edge browser as I want to see if it is faster.

Now to Cortana, First off whenever I say any command, except for the open command, she will say, I can't connect at the moment. Try again in a little bit or she will say 'I'm sorry, the internet and i aren't talking right now.' this is really annoying me as cortana seems really cool, but again, I have found no fix or anything to do with it.

Also my windows 10 is not active as it will not let me activate it as it says, 'Windows can't activate. Try again later', but it is saying to connect to the internet to activate at the top of the settings box, but I am connected at around 40mbp, so could this be the problem, not being activated?  But then my friend is not activated and all his things are working fine.

Thanks for the help as this is really annoying me, could it be the same thing that is causing all these windows apps not to work? But everything else seems to be working fine, and by the way I do not want to reinstall windows, thanks for the help.

EDIT 1: Just out of my own interest I just ran windows update whilst I am on windows 10, and that is not connecting aswell, so there is now a 4th problem.

EDIT 2: I got Cortana and Edge to work by changing my network from public to private, I did this by running the troubleshooter for homegroup. I still have not found a fix for my windows store error, 0x80072ee7 although some people have reported that this has worked for them

Here's how to do it if you do not want to watch the video.

1. go to control panel
  2. search "view network connections"
  3. go to view network connections
  4. choose your network( which you are currently using )
  5. right click on it and select properties
  6. scroll down to " internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) "
  7. hit properties
  8. Now choose Use the following DNS Server addresses
  9. right down preferred DNS Server - 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS Server - 8.8.4.4
  10. These are the addresses of Google's DNS Servers
  11. They are free to use.
  12. Hit ok
  13. close all the tabs
  14. Now start the windows store again now it should work if not works for you restart your computer or restart the windows store services

EDIT 3:

UPDATE ON ACTIVATION

So I haven't been able to activate, but I have some info regarding the subject.

I downloaded a program called pidgen and got my full key, when I press go it gives this,

//--- The Ultimate PID Checker v1.1.3.590 by janek2012 ---

Product Key : I removed it so you cannot have it

Profile : C:\WINDOWS\System32\spp\tokens\pkeyconfig\pkeyconfig.xrm-ms

Validity : Valid

Product ID : Don't know what you can do with this but I removed it

Advanced ID : XXXXX-again removed-2172015 Activation ID : Removed it

Edition Type : Core Description : Win 10 RTM Core Retail Edition

ID : [TH]Can you do stuff with this?

Key Type : Retail

EULA : Retail

Crypto ID : 3261

Benchmark: 0.312 seconds

Is there anything wrong here?

I also reset my licence status (Command prompt admin, slmgr.vbs -rearm)and it says this when it is run, Error:0xC004FE00 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run "slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004FE00" to display the error text.

What does it mean by non-core edition is that normal ? I upgrade from windows 8.1 which I got with my PC, and 8.1 was activated fine, so whats the problem?

EDIT 4:

I fixed it, with help from this Prasoon Varshney answer fixed my problem.

What you have to do is download this, yes the site may look a bit dodgy but its safe, you then need to go through the options along the top, some you dont have to do.Then once you have done that you then boot into safe mode, I did mine without networking as I couldnt get networking safe mode to work, I then unticked all the options on the repair tab and ticked the first one then the one to do with the store, I clicked the one that resets everything (I think it is the second) then I ticked the one below which is to do with the store. I let it do its thing and finally it was done, it took about 1 and a half hours and then it went to the configuring windows update and then when it restarted my store started to work, so I hope this works for everyone else, thanks for the help every one and I hope you get your problem fixed.

EDIT 5:

Just checked and my windows is activated aswell ! Also my windows update is working aswell.

All my problems are fixed

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 56,142 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We are working on the issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks and regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I suggest you to place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if it helps.

To know how to place the computer in Clean Boot I suggest you to follow the below link.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Reset the computer back to Normal Mode once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further

Sorry this didn't help.

So this did not work,  when I was in a clean boot, the Windows store gave the error code, 0x80072EE7 (same as it does in a normal boot) Edge did not work, just kept saying, 'Hmm, we can’t reach this page.'  and with cortana, it was saying she cannot connect to the internet, in one way or another.

So I can confirm a clean boot did not work. Thanks for trying though and I hope there is another solution.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue with Microsoft Edge and Cortana and I decided to take a look at the web traffic with Fiddler. Interestingly, when I run Fiddler, Edge and Cortana work fine. When I stop running Fiddler, Edge and Cortana also stops working. What's with this, Microsoft?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, so this is different, I just downloaded Fiddler, and my edge is working, sadly my windows store is now saying error 0x80072EFD, this is the error code I got back in windows 8.1, and Cortana still says the internet sentences.

I just turned fiddler off and Edge now does not work, cortana is still saying the internet sentences and windows store is now saying error code, 0x80072EE7.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having the same identical problem's the others are having in this forum. No luck with the clean boot but downloading fiddler has got edge working for me as well, just very very slowly. Apps still are not woking. Basically the same issues as the others. 4-month-old pc bought new.

Thanks for working with us and hopefully a solution is found soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. 

Had the same problem. So I tried to disable the firewall for private networks, and now I got connected. Edge words, store works and cortana works perfect. 

not the safest solution, but it works for now. 

- Robert

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, so I just went to see if I could disable my private firewall, and it has a green tick, but it says 'Not connected' I did disable it and windows store, cortana and Edge still do not work, but could the firewall not being connected be causing the problems?

EDIT: Also in the Network and Sharing Center, it says I am not connected to any networks but I am because it says on the taskbar, and I am on the internet now.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So.... What's next? I would go back to Windows 8.1 but choosing that option gave me the whole, "your files were deleted for that option." So I'm stuck. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and am having the same problem. 

Microsoft Edge cannot connect to anything and just says 'Hmm, we can't reach this page.'

Similarly, the Store app doesn't work. However, I can access the internet using Chrome and IE11.

I have tried a Clean Boot and had no joy with that. I have also tried a winsock reset, just on the off chance that it worked, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Jon

Update: The error code that I get when I try to access the Store is 0x80072EFD.

Many Thanks,
Jon

223 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.