Windows 10 can't print to network printer after upgrade

My network printer is connected to my network through WiFi. I was able to print successfully right up until the upgrade from Windows 8.1 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit. I tried to update driver. I downloaded the Software update from the  manufacturer's website, but I was unable to complete the install. The printer was connected to the network but My computer was not able to find it. Any Ideas?

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if this helps:

Method1: Try to uninstall and re-install the Printer drivers.

You may follow these steps to uninstall and reinstall the  Printer drivers:

1. Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard and type “devmgmt.msc” in the “Run” Command box and press “Enter”.
  2. In the “Device Manager” window, search for the  Printer drivers, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device”    you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

Method 2: You can try installing the drivers in compatibility mode and check if this helps:

1. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
  2. Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.
  3. Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.
  4. Select the drivers and install.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thanks!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Method 1 did not help.  Nothing happened when I pressed the Windows logo + W.

After upgrade, all printers from 8.1 -- including Microsoft XPS document writer, BullZip pdf, HP 410, and Quicken pdf -- other than the Canon MG7520 on my local network disappeared from and could not be found in the Devices and Printers in the control panel.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything related to the 7520.  I could scan wirelessly before the reinstall and I still can, but I cannot print anything, any way.  The error note for both Office and pdf files says that no pages were selected.  Help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not helpful.

First, I tried Method 2 and never saw anything that said "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows".

I have tried installing the drivers from HP and it still says my printer is offline.  I can print from my other computer and from my iPhone.

Why would you make us go through all of these steps? I have spent over an hour trying to print.

Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mlevin,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query.

Method 1: Run the Printer Troubleshooter, and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Type Troubleshooter in search box and click Enter.

Step 2: On the top left corner click on View all.

Step 3: Select Printer from the list and follow the prompts for printer troubleshooting.

Refer to the following articles on:

Fix printer problems (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Why isn’t Windows finding my Bluetooth or other wireless device? (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

What if a wired device isn't installed properly? (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-device-isnt-installed-properly

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,
Microsoft Community.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Option 1 does not work.  type in "devmgmt.msc” and I get a message that file not found.

Option 2 does not work either.  I hit "windows" button + "W" and it does nothing. 

So much for getting help with widows 10.....so far this version of windows suck!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 17,895 Applies to: