Windows 10 cannot access seagate central external network drive error 0x80070035. How do I fix this?

Windows 10 cannot access seagate central external network drive.  I get  error 0x80070035.  How do I fix this?

This problem has existed for a long time, but I would like to fix this, due to upcoming end of support of Windows 7.   My windows 7 PC can still access the drive.  How do I fix this?

Hi Ted,

I am an independent advisor and a Windows user like you, and I am hoping to help you out with this.

Can you provide the exact model of your Seagate Central external network drive? I believe it may be SRN01C?

Due to the age of the product (the manual at https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/suppo... indicates it could be from 2014), I would recommend trying the following steps in Windows 10.

In the Start Menu / Windows Search, please type in "windows features" to bring up the Control Panel match "Turn Windows features on or off"

In the window that comes up, scroll down until you find "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support".

Click the checkmark next to this, and press OK.

Hopefully this helps - please note SMB 1.0 is less secure and very old; this article is very technical but if you are interested in reading more: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-...

Otherwise, you may want to try to disable the firewall or antivirus software temporarily, to see if it will allow the network connection to proceed.

I hope this has helped you. If this is not what you are looking for, please reply and let us know and we would be happy to look into providing some different suggestions!

Regards,
-Ashton

96 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You were correct on the model, and the remedy worked.  The "technical" article was pretty emphatic. 

This is just a "local" backup drive.  I have never allowed remote access of this drive.  I use it to back up photos and music, and allow all members of the internal network, "public" access.  Individual family members also use this drive for [password protected] data backup on their own folders.   I thought this Ethernet connected drive seemed to be a better way than using USB thumb drives, especially since it allowed all the household PCs to connect.  Maybe I was wrong.  

I was looking on Seagate's support pages to see if they had a software upgrade for the drive that would use the newer protocol, but searching for SMB yielded zero results.

I can see I need to do some searching for a better way.  

Thank you for your assistance.

Ted

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ted,

I am glad to hear it worked for you!

Network devices like that are a great way to share amongst your internal network. It is very common to do, convenient, and works well.

It boils down to the SMB protocol having security flaws in the older version, and the newer versions are more secure. However, it is possible that the Seagate Central does not support the newer versions, even with the latest firmware. You may be able to check for the latest firmware with your serial number here:
https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/external-...

Password protection on the shares, firewalls and keeping it on an internal network are good ways to keep your shares secure.

-Ashton

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 19,848 Applies to: