Windows 10 Atheros Driver

My atheros network driver isn't working , and I cant download the drivers cause it says its not for this OS , Help? I cant use WLan or Connection by wire ,

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2020 Views 16,796 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

As you can see from the number of replies, this issue seems to be of no interest to anyone. Therefore, the only recommendation is to get yourself a new PC (as suggested for every new Windows version).

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For me, (32bit)

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=SVC&CttFileID=2509201&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=N&ModelName=NT-X170-PA40SE&VPath=DR/201006/20100604151359750/WLAN_INTEL_Win7_32bit_13.2.0.30.zip

helped! 

It enabled wireless connection.

----

I found the newer ones, in English. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25170

Sorry this didn't help.

My older laptop got "bricked" after upgrading it to Windows 10 - both the Atheros Wi-Fi adapter and the Broadcom Cat-5 adapter were dead - due to no Windows 10 drivers.  Only way to fix it was to buy a new USB Wi-Fi adapter, (Sabrent NT-WSAC) that was sold as supporting Windows 10 - even though the manufacture's web site didn't mention Windows 10 at all, and install that.  It worked, even though the original hardware adapters are still non-functional. 

Wish Windows 10 was smart enough to use the old Windows 7 and 8 drivers, if no new Windows 10 driver is available for a device like these adapters.  The old drivers were already 64-bit, so clearly could have worked fine - as they clearly did to download, update, and install Windows 10.  Who makes any money by failing to support millions of devices that probably never will get Windows 10 drivers made for them at this point in their life-cycle? 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

for 64-bit Windows 10, there are new drivers for Atheros , Broadcom and Realtek chipset available at

http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/ds103777

I extracted the Atheros driver from this archive and put it on http://home.arcor.de/dac324/downloads/10.0.0.318.ZIP

This driver also supports the AR5B125 chipset.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

DAC324

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

for 64-bit Windows 10, there are new drivers for Atheros , Broadcom and Realtek chipset available at

http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/ds103777

I extracted the Atheros driver from this archive and put it on http://home.arcor.de/dac324/downloads/10.0.0.318.ZIP

This driver also supports the AR5B125 chipset.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

DAC324

Thanks for your assistance! 

To try to fix my old laptop with an Atheros AR5B91 chip set, I installed the drivers from the Lenovo web site shown above - but Windows 10 still couldn't use them as they still seem to only be Windows 7/8 drivers.  Likewise, the bundled Broadcom drivers didn't work either for the same reason.  Still waiting to see if any 64-bit Windows 10 drivers ever appear for these devices.

Best regards!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

The driver from http://home.arcor.de/dac324/downloads/10.0.0.318.ZIP has to be installed manually using Device Manager. Unpack the zip file to an empty directory.

Do you have an entry for your AR5B91 adapter under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

• Go there, right click and choose "Update driver".
  • Choose the second option "Search the computer for driver software".
  • Choose "Pick from a list of device drivers..."
  • Choose "Have disk..."
  • Browse to the directory you unpacked the zip file with the driver to.
  • After clicking OK, you should be presented with an entry like "Qualcomm Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter".
  • Select this entry and choose "Proceed".
  • The driver software should then be installed.

Does that work? If not please post any error messages you receive here in the forum.

Kind regards,

DAC324

Sorry this didn't help.

After upgrading to Win10 you can go to Device Manager, select the adapter, go to Driver and select to Roll Back to the previous driver.  That will get the device working again and then you can decide whether to update the driver or not.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much.

That worked like a charm.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 and Atheros Drivers - how to get round the problem

This is what you wrote:-

My atheros network driver isn't working , and I cant download the drivers cause it says its not for this OS , Help? I cant use WLan or Connection by wire ,

This is my contribution

Far from getting a new Pc, I can tell you how to solve this. I have had this problem with  a Toshiba Sattelite, HP laptop, and now a Lenovo - all for family and friends.

Windows 10 has serious issues with Qualcomm Atheros WiFi adapters and there are workarounds that will fix the problem.

First type of problem - You upgrade to W10 but the WiFi doesn't work. Open your devices list, as you have done, right click the Atheros WiFi adapter and then the drivers tab. Roll back to the previous driver and reboot. The Windows 8 driver for Atheros will work in W10 - you can download it. You may need to download the update exclusion tool from Microsoft to prevent the automatic updates from installing the faulty W10 driver again - its a little known free app that lets you mark things you dont want updated.  I can let you have details if you need them.

Second type of problem - Your laptop (Usually a Lenovo) goes through nearly all the W10 upgrade and then fails before the progress circle on black background appears, with a message saying the upgrade failed and it has put it back where it was. I had this four or five times and then asked Microsoft to help. They worked on it for hours and they were not able to fix it. I decided to start the laptop with the F2 key held down so that I could go into the BIOS menu. I then disabled the Wireless adapter and rebooted. I had already used the media creation tool to load W10 upgrade package onto a USB. When the laptop came back up, ran the setup file on the USB and the upgrade went through, all the way. Hope that helps. I've met the problem on every laptop that I have upgraded.

Sorry this didn't help.

there is no need to get a new Pc, I've posted some information on the main post

Sorry this didn't help.