Windows 10 20H2 mapped network drives not reconnecting when Windows starts

When I start my pc the network drives don't reconnect.  If I look in File Explorer the Y and Z mapped drives have red Xs on them.  Clicking on the drives sometimes connects them and all's well, and sometimes it says username or password incorrect and I have to delete the mapped drives and then remap them.

I've tried various scripts to no avail.

I also noticed that if I open a command window as administrator and enter 'net use' there are no entries in the list.  If I open a command window normally and enter 'net use' it will show both mapped drives.

I'm the only user of the pc and have admin rights.

Any help gratefully received

Kevin

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This was the case with version 2004 for a number of users. Did you update from version 2004 or 190*?

If you were using 190* I would suggest a roll back and wait for see if the problem is resolved. 

I too had a problem with mapped drives and File History to a NAS drive and reading others posts it seems to vary with shares on other PC's, NAS or domain shares. I deleted my credentials in Credentials Manager and it seemed to get better and not (still at version 2004) disconnect sometimes but generally is okay. I find it always asks for user/password twice, I put anything in the first time, just a single character but the second time the password is accepted.

Some find it relates to SMB 1.0 support not being enabled in Programs and Features > Turn windows features On or Off. I have that enabled because my NAS doesn't support SMB 2.0 or above.

Post the problem in the Feedback Hub or comment and upvote others posts. You could share a link to the Feedback Hub here for others to go to.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Kevin,

I think this was resolved in ver 20H2. See the answer marked here too:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I wonder if you are hitting the credentials issue. Do you see any S4U tasks when you run the Powershell commands?
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sumit.

As you may have seen in my response to Kevin I still have the issue in version 2004 but no where as bad as it was after the initial version 2004 update. Not been offered 20H2 yet, so I'll wait.

I ran your PowerShell (Admin) script from the other thread but it doesn't give an output. I don't have anything HP and never have.

I did find it got better after I deleted my NAS entries in Credentials Manager but my mapped drives still ask for password periodically and accept the password on the second attempt. (even with one character inputted on the first attempt or the correct password first)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Neil. I was told by someone that this maybe is due to the credentials issue, which is why I thought maybe is related. People report that 20H2 fixes it and as 2004 and 20H2 share the same code, you can try the update through the enablement package.

Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This was the case with version 2004 for a number of users. Did you update from version 2004 or 190*?

If you were using 190* I would suggest a roll back and wait for see if the problem is resolved. 

I too had a problem with mapped drives and File History to a NAS drive and reading others posts it seems to vary with shares on other PC's, NAS or domain shares. I deleted my credentials in Credentials Manager and it seemed to get better and not (still at version 2004) disconnect sometimes but generally is okay. I find it always asks for user/password twice, I put anything in the first time, just a single character but the second time the password is accepted.

Some find it relates to SMB 1.0 support not being enabled in Programs and Features > Turn windows features On or Off. I have that enabled because my NAS doesn't support SMB 2.0 or above.

Post the problem in the Feedback Hub or comment and upvote others posts. You could share a link to the Feedback Hub here for others to go to.

I updated from 2004

SMB 1.0 support is enabled

My PC is an ASUS Z97-A motherboard, 16Gb memory, i5-4670 cpu, 500Gb SSD, 2X 4Gb HDD set as 1x 8Gb store and a Dlink DN320L NAS with 2x 4Gb HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kevin,

I think this was resolved in ver 20H2. See the answer marked here too:

I wonder if you are hitting the credentials issue. Do you see any S4U tasks when you run the Powershell commands?

Still not working for me with 20H2

Sorry, don't understand S4U tasks

edit

Read the thread, opened powershell as admin and entered the below,  which gave no output

Get-ScheduledTask | foreach { If (([xml](Export-ScheduledTask -TaskName $_.TaskName -TaskPath $_.TaskPath)).GetElementsByTagName("LogonType").'#text' -eq "S4U") { $_.TaskName } }

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Neil. I was told by someone that this maybe is due to the credentials issue, which is why I thought maybe is related. People report that 20H2 fixes it and as 2004 and 20H2 share the same code, you can try the update through the enablement package.

Checked Credentials and there were two, one of which was wrong. Deleted incorrect one, rebooted and no change.

Deleted all, rebooted and reentered correct username and password, rebooted and still disconnected

Tried 192.168.0.13 in credentials, still not working

Tried Netdrive in credentials, still not working.

Tried the link above for 64bit OS, says already installed

Nothing seems to work :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Kevin. 

When you run the command as mentioned in the answer in the link, what output do you see? A screenshot would help. 

Those links were for neilpzz, who wasn't offered 20H2. These packages install 20H2 which you already have. 

Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply, here's a screenshot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sumit. 

I used the link this morning to get version 20H2 and access to my NAS is no different to version 2004. All was okay in version 1909.

Kevin.

I've just read your post ref the NAS drive and see it is the same as mine. It is shown as DLINK DNS-320L

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2024 Views 19,669 Applies to: