Wifi not working after Windows 10 2004 update.

I just installed the Windows 10 2004 update about two days ago, and since then I have been unable to turn on my wifi. Every time i try to turn it on, it'll say "on" momentarily and then switch itself off. I have an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, resetting my network settings, and restarting the computer multiple times. I even tried downloading the latest drivers from Intel's website, as they are a newer version than what Windows 10 gives me. I still get the same problem. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Greetings,

My name is Rhaine, I'm an Independent Advisor and community member like you.
I am also using Windows 10 pc. Let us work together to sort this out.

Please try the following steps below.

Right click on the network icon in the lower right side of your screen.
Hit troubleshoot problems.

Press Windows Key + X
Go to device manager
Look for network drivers
Right Click Update
Choose the option to "Locate driver software in the system"

Open Settings.
Click on Network & Internet.
Click on Status.
Under the "Change your network settings" section, click the Network reset option. Source: Windows Central.
Click the Reset now button. Source: Windows Central.
Click the Yes button.

Type CMD in the search bar
Right click in the command prompt and run it as administrator.
Copy and paste the each commands below.

netsh int ip reset
netsh advfirewall reset
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / release
ipconfig / renew

Restart your pc and check how it goes.

I hope the information above helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

With Warm Regards,
Rhaine C.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Rhaine,

I just tried everything you listed, but my problem still exists.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings,

I appreciate your swift response, please try the following steps below.

Method 1: Perform system restore

-This process will take your computer settings back to an earlier point in time where computer is working fine. If there's any changes made on your computer that removes the service, system restore should be able to fix the issue for you. To perform system restore please follow the steps below:

1. Open the run box by pressing the Windows key + R and type rstrui.exe

2. Once system restore windows open, normally it will suggest a restore point (sometimes it doesn't) if it does, select the 2nd option and hit next

3. Select your desired restore point date and time and hit next and finish.

Windows will going to restart your computer to initiate system restore. System restore might take several minutes to complete depending on the current speed of your computer and the changes it will made. Applications and updates that was installed on the computer prior to the date selected will be removed. It is important that when system restore starts, process must not be interrupted.

i'll look forward for your response. Please let me know how it goes.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

With Warm Regards,
Rhaine C.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem on my girlfriend's laptop, HP ProBook 450 G2. She received the 2004 update today, and now suddenly she's unable to turn on her wifi. It stays on for a few seconds, and then it immediately shuts off again. It seems to be the exact same problem as the topic starter.

The HP website tells me that this is the wireless adapter:

Wireless LAN (WLAN)***
  • Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n (1x1) ***
  • Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n (1x1) with Bluetooth® v4.0 combo***
  • Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11 a/b/g/n (2x2) with Bluetooth® v4.0 combo*
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) with Bluetooth 4.0 combo***
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) with Bluetooth 4.0 combo***

Any help?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with both cable and wifi. I also have the realtek rtl8723be network card.

I temporarily solved the problem by going back to the previous windows version. (settings /update / show updates / go back to previous updates - this is my imperfect translation from danish. It will be called something different in the english version but close)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please help me!  Wifi is completely gone.  Because of that, I can't Fresh Start, I can't System Reset (I have tried that, but it does its thing for 10 mins, then says, "System Reset can't be completed, no changes have been made"). I have uninstalled as many updates as possible since 3-2020, but the 3-2020 update will NOT uninstall (does its thing for a while, then says, "This cannot be uninstalled", and most of the other updates after that won't even give me the option of uninstalling.  Essentially everything in the below Forbes article is happening to me!! 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/07/21/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-2004-may-2020-breaks-internet-connections-update-free-windows-10-update/#600661981e24

Originally (March or April?), I read in Forbes that the KB 4556799 update was the problem, so I uninstalled THAT update, with NO restoration of my Wifi.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/27/microsoft-issues-windows-10-update-warning-kb4556799-free-windows-10-upgrade/#7e76f21725a0

My computer is useless to me now.  Any help would be appreciated!! 

Thanks!

Suze

Troubleshooting WiFi says "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" I have tried the

netsh int ip reset
netsh advfirewall reset
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / release
ipconfig / renew

and it WILL do the IP reset, firewall reset, and flush, but it will NOT do the release and renew, as it says it needs a "media connection."

I have also done:

Open Settings.
Click on Network & Internet.
Click on Status.
Under the "Change your network settings" section, click the Network reset option. Source: Windows Central.
Click the Reset now button. Source: Windows Central.
Click the Yes button.

I did a system restore this morning to May.  And now if i try to reset again, my only reset date is this morning!

I have TRIED this:

Press Windows Key + X
Go to device manager
Look for network drivers
Right Click Update
Choose the option to "Locate driver software in the system"

BUT my computer doesn't have "network drivers" only "Network Adapters" and right-clicking on that doesn't offer an option to "Update" or "Locate driver software in the system."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sojihgfdsazxcvbnmj7654311un9ut4[439

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, i have pretty much the same problem. I’m using a Intel Dual Band 3160 Wireless Adatper and i have pretty much tried everything for the past few months now to stop it from continously disconnecting. I’ve updated drivers, i’ve done all the ip config stuff, i’ve re-installed Windows 10 twice “fresh installs” and still no luck.

I have a feeling that since the latest Win 10 update it’s problematic with my old Network card - the Intel Dual Band 3160.

I’ve also noted trouble shutting down and restarting my PC and i did read that Microsoft was aware of the issue and Intel released drivers a few days ago for the 3165 Wireless adapters but mine doesn’t seem to be supported.

My PC as it is, is basically unusable. Please fix this Microsoft!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem suddenly with 2004 that internet dropped briefly or became very intermittent, then cannot find my wifi network and totally screwed up. It is a dell laptop with Intel Dual Band 3160 like golfman above...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Scully I have recently found a inexpensive solution to the problem. I recently bought a USB Wireless Adapter for $20 Australian. It's a Dual band one with 5ghz and 2.4ghz. I simply disabled the old Intel Wireless Adapters in Device Manager and then inserted the new USB Wireless Adapter and installed the Drivers that came with it and it's working fine now.

I believe the problem is the 3160 Intel Adapter that is the problem and because it is no longer supported by Intel, I believe it is now no longer compatible with Windows 10. 

So if you can find a cheap USB Wireless Adapter or if you want to spend extra and replace your Network Adapter to a newer model then I think this is the only way to fix this problem. Unless Microsoft or Intel release some sort of update/patch... Keep in mind - replacing the Network Adapter would require you to open your machine and install it which is why I opted for the more simpler option and cheaper and bought a USB Wireless Adapter! 

Hope this helps you Scully and anyone else with this problem.

- Golfman159

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2021 Views 6,408 Applies to: