VPN settings: default gateway etc

Workaround for the bug with the TCP/IP settings window not working for VPNs.

1) Locate the proper rasphone.pbk file

- for a VPN defined for all users on the machine - %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk ("cd" there using admin cmd.exe), you must be an admin to edit it

- for a VPN defined only for current user - no need to be an admin, it is at %AppData%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk (again "cd" there by cmd.exe, since it will expand the env var in percents)

2) rasphone.pbk is where the VPNs are defined. It is an old-style INI text file.

3) The property names for the VPN definitions are mostly self-describing, but, to switch off "Use default gateway on a remote network", set IpPrioritizeRemote to 0

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Workaround for the bug with the TCP/IP settings window not working for VPNs.

1) Locate the proper rasphone.pbk file

- for a VPN defined for all users on the machine - %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk ("cd" there using admin cmd.exe), you must be an admin to edit it

- for a VPN defined only for current user - no need to be an admin, it is at %AppData%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk (again "cd" there by cmd.exe, since it will expand the env var in percents)

2) rasphone.pbk is where the VPNs are defined. It is an old-style INI text file.

3) The property names for the VPN definitions are mostly self-describing, but, to switch off "Use default gateway on a remote network", set IpPrioritizeRemote to 0

Can anyone help to put this in layman's terms please, with step by step instructions? I'm not an IT professional, just a user trying to get my VPN to the office to work. Thanks.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Let me try for you:

First, open an elevated command prompt. Right-click on the start menu, and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the list.

Once in there, you need to cd to the folder which contains the VPN. This will be one of two places, if you selected "allow other users to use this connection" when creating the VPN, it will be in the %ProgramData% folder. If you did not select that option, it will be in the %AppData% folder. So your next step after opening the elevated command prompt is to type one of these two commands:

cd %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk

or

cd %AppData%\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk

Once you type the command and press enter, type:

notepad rasphone.pbk

and press enter.

Like the poster said, most of the items in here are self-descriptive, but if you're looking to deselect the option to use the remote gateway (which is what I was looking for when I came here - this option, enabled by default, tends to break internet access) you need to locate this item:

IpPrioritizeRemote

(you can press ctrl+f and search for it)

It will be set to 1 by default, change the 1 to a zero, save the file and close notepad.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I changed  IpPrioritizeRemote to 0 like the OP suggested, and even restarted the computer, but I still can't access the TCP-IP  properties in the VPN adapter.  I have done this a hundred times with Windows 7 and I can't imagine what MS was thinking here.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This doesn't let you access the properties, rather it's a workaround to change the properties from within the config file.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I do not know what to do... 

I attemped to follow this step by step but my computer cannot locate any of the files necessary. It cannot even find the notepad rasphone.pbk file and asked me if I wanted to create a new one.

Please give advice if you can. I am going through this process to attempt to get internet access through my wifi that should be providing it. Any additional assistance would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 8, 2020 Views 7,034 Applies to: