Unable to Start Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service

Hi,

I am not able to start Peer Name Resolution Protocol service. When I manually start the service, it prompts error as "Windows could not start Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service On Local Computer. Error 0x80630203: Unable To access a key."

Because of this service I am unable to start Peer Network Grouping service, which is essential to Join/Create HomeGroup.

I have tried many options suggested on numerous forum. Many have suggested to delete idstore.sst file but I am unable to locate the same. Folder at path "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking" is empty.

Request you to help in this.

Answer
Answer
this is what worked for me.  go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA and right-click on MachineKeys - Properties - Security and add Local Service to the Groups or user names.  To do so, click edit - Add - and type "local service" and hit check names, then click ok and click full control under permissions for local service, click ok.  you may get an error as it tries to set user "local service" for all keys which it can not because permissions are not allowed.  now go start your three services...

585 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 25,801 Applies to: