Unable to connect to a shared printer.

Unable to connect to a shared printer (Canon LBP 2900).

Just upgraded this laptop to Windows 10, while the other devices on the network remain at Window 7.

When I browsed and added the printer, it said It cannot connect ("Default Printer cannot be set")

Attaching the screenshot with this

Thank You :)

|

Hi,

Are you connected to a domain network?

I would suggest you to check if the user account has permission to print and manage the printer. Refer these steps:

a)      Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

b)      Under Hardware and Sound, click on Devices and Printers

c)       Locate your printer and right click.

d)      Click on the Printer properties from the menu and select security tab.

e)      Select your user account name from the list of user accounts.

f)       Make sure that all the check boxes against the permissions are marked as “Allow”.

If the permission is already set as “allow”, then this could be a network setting issue. Check if your account is configured correctly to the network and check the network options.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Printer troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.

b) Click on Troubleshooting.

c) Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.

d) Click on Printer option.

e) Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem, but all computers (the one I'm trying to print from and the one the printer is attached to) are running Windows 10. 

Host computer has had the requirement for an account and password to access the printer turned off in the networking center as prescribed by your website.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/share-printer

I know it’s for Windows 8, but clicking on the “Get Windows 10 help” at the bottom of the page leads me nowhere.

If I go to “Devices” on my computer (not the one the printer is connected to), the message below the printer name is “Access denied.  Unable to connect.”  This was the message before I changed the host computer to no longer require a password.  I tried rebooting the host computer to no effect.

I've gone into the "Security" section under Printer Properties on the host computer and set every printer option to "Allow".  Still no help.

I tried running the "Print troubleshooter," and it tried to make the printer I'm trying to connect to the default printer, which I didn't really want, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.  It couldn't do it, and I was left with options to phone a friend or get help from the community, so here I am.

Prior to Windows 10, both computers were running Windows 8, and I had no problems printing to that printer.  Wish I could go back.

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

VERYYYYY helpful, network printer now connected to my laptop running Windows 10.

SJI

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you so much for the response.

Glad to know that you have sorted out the issue.

Please feel free to post if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After fiddling around with various suggestions, I finally got our Windows 10 computers to work with the HP D7360 printer connected to a Windows 7 computer, simply by opening Windows Explorer on the Windows 10 machines, and clicking on the Windows 7 computer shown under "Network". That showed me all the "shared" folders on that computer ... and printers, one of which was the D7360. Right-clicking on that, then clicking on "Connect ..." opened up a "Windows Printer Installation"dialog, which meant what it said ... "Looking for drivers for the ... this might take a while". After a while (varied from one computer to another) that dialog box finally disappeared without giving any indication of success, or failure. However, the D7360 had been recognized and installed, and is now working fine from the Windows 10, computers.

FWIW ... I never really realized the distinction between a "network printer" and a "shared printer". All the helpful information about connecting to a network printer was wasted on me, of course, since our printers are all hooked up to various computers on the network and shared, and not connected directly to the network itself.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2021 Views 58,931 Applies to: