Slower wifi download speed on newer Windows 10 laptops than on older Windows 7 one!

I have a very strange problem and I really hope that someone can help!

We have 3 laptops - 1 Packard Bell using Win7 (4/5 yrs old and now "retired") and 2 HP using Win10 (one is 6 months old and the other 1 month)

For the past year we have had a good wifi (fibre optic) service - regularly getting speed tests of 50 - 60 Mbps - this was on both the "retired" laptop and the 6 month old Windows 10 laptop.   However,  we have noticed that on both the 2 new PCs we are now getting about half the speed we had previously - sometimes less.

Now we come to the very strange part!   This morning I decided to try the "retired" laptop to see what speed that achieved and to my surprise I found that the old "retired" laptop received a speed of 50+ Mbps.   This is twice what I can get on the newer Windows 10 laptop - which just doesn't seem right! 

I'll just add, we have also tried with only 1 laptop switched on / connected at once and it makes no difference.

So - my question is - can anyone suggest how I can get the 2 new machines to get as good a speed as the old "retired" one!

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2019 Views 2,726 Applies to:
Problem is now solved - It was the Device Driver that needed to be updated.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for the update on the issue and good to know that your issue get resolved by updating the Wireless drivers. IN addition to that there can be a number of reasons for dropping/limited/slow wireless connection in Windows, some common issues that can cause these problems are:

• Corrupted or incompatible drivers.

• Missing updates.

• Network connection settings.

• Hardware or software problems.

• Inappropriate distance from the router or obstruction.

• Interference from other devices.

Do feel free to post us back if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be happy to assist you again.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there

Well - not quite as "solved" as I thought!

We did initially get 50Mbps on both our new laptops - but this morning we noticed that one of them was only getting 25Mbps!  So 2 identical laptops with all MS updates installed - but different speeds! 

The other thing that I notice is that even when we have a download speed of only 25Mbps we are still getting the same Upload speed - of about 5Mbps.  I thought it was usually related to the download speed - it has always seemed to be in the past.

I then tried doing a Re-Start on the laptop with the slower connection - and it then started to get 50+Mbps again!

This all seems very strange to me and I really would be grateful if you, or anyone, could throw a bit of light on the matter and help me to obtain the good 50Mbps speed that I know the laptops are capable of getting!

Thanks in advance - I look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to run Network troubleshooter and see if it helps you to fix the issue. For running the troubleshooter you may follow the steps provided below.

1. Press Windows key or start icon present at the left bottom.
  2. Type troubleshooting in the search box.
  3. Click on troubleshooting from the list.
  4. In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
  5. Click on “Network Adapter”.
  6. Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
  7. Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.