Slow Wifi Speed On Only One Computer

Hey! So about a week ago my WiFi became really slow (What I can remember is that I was trying to download something to my SD card and when i started downloading the file the download speed was unbearably slow. Not only that, I was on windows 10 and my taskbar was completely nonfunctional! Making it incredibly difficult to troubleshoot, meaning i couldn't access anything through search and the only way i could access things was by right clicking on the taskbar and choosing what i wanted to go to. I couldn't even reset my computer because it was missing a drive partition! Then, earlier today, i backed up some of my files online and reset my computer in system recovery. It took me back to windows 8.1, but i'm ok with that. So, after logging on, setting up my PC, the taskbar worked! It was expected. Yet, not all problems disappeared with the reset. The only thing left is my incredibly slow WiFi.

My WiFi on about every other device in my household is about 30 mbps. But for some reason, on my PC, under network and sharing center, The WiFi is always either at 1, 2, 5.5, 6.5, or 13 mbps. Its mostly at 1,2, or 5.5 though. Why is this? I've searched countless times online but couldn't find the answer to my specific problem. I found most commonly that peoples problems were AMD quickstream, yet my computer doesn't have anything AMD or that software. I've tried diagnosing and troubleshooting my WiFi networks and it always says "Troubleshooting couldn't detect the problem." The network connection is always from 1-3 bars. I've updated my driver for my Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter, but nothing seems to work. Please help! Would like a response as soon as possible and try any proposed methods and reply to anyone as soon as possible!

Thanks, SirJetto

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2019 Views 10,037 Applies to:

Hello,

Before proceeding could you please answer few questions:

1. What is the current operating system installed on your computer?

2. Did you connect any other device with the same Wi-Fi and check the speed?

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft help article and check the status of this issue.

Fix network connection issues

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft help article and check the status of this issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks for the quick reply! The operating system I am currently using is Windows 8.1. When I first found the error, I was on Windows 10. I compared the results from speedtest.net on 3 different devices.

The computer with the WiFi problems got a ping of 81ms, a download speed of 8.25 mbps, and an upload speed of 5.88 mbps.

I tested on my laptop, from the same location. My ping was 16ms, download was 56 mbps and an upload speed of 12 mbps.

Then, just to be sure, I tested on my phone. My ping was 15ms, download was 59 mbps and an upload of 11.52 mbps.

The fact that after i completely factory reset my computer and downgraded to Windows 8 leads me to believe its not a Windows 10 error, or a virus.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply! The operating system I am currently using is Windows 8.1. When I first found the error, I was on Windows 10. I compared the results from speedtest.net on 3 different devices.

The computer with the WiFi problems got a ping of 81ms, a download speed of 8.25 mbps, and an upload speed of 5.88 mbps.

I tested on my laptop, from the same location. My ping was 16ms, download was 56 mbps and an upload speed of 12 mbps.

Then, just to be sure, I tested on my phone. My ping was 15ms, download was 59 mbps and an upload of 11.52 mbps.

The fact that after i completely factory reset my computer and downgraded to Windows 8 leads me to believe its not a Windows 10 error, or a virus.

Ive also tried almost every solution on the link you sourced, nothing seems to work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for replying back with the status of this issue.

Let us first check if any applications are creating conflicts. You can check this by taking your PC into Clean Boot state. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

Follow the below mentioned steps to perform Clean Boot:

a. Press Windows Key , type msconfig in the search box, and hit Enter.

b. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

c. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

d. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

e. Close Task Manager.

f. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

If a service is causing issue, I suggest you turn on 5 services at a time, reboot and then see if the problem reappears, keep repeating this until you find a group of 5 services, which are causing this issue, then check the one by one, till you find the one which is causing your issue. Perform the same divide and apply for Startup's too.

Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration',

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for replying back with the status of this issue.

Let us first check if any applications are creating conflicts. You can check this by taking your PC into Clean Boot state. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

Follow the below mentioned steps to perform Clean Boot:

a. Press Windows Key , type msconfig in the search box, and hit Enter.

b. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

c. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

d. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

e. Close Task Manager.

f. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

If a service is causing issue, I suggest you turn on 5 services at a time, reboot and then see if the problem reappears, keep repeating this until you find a group of 5 services, which are causing this issue, then check the one by one, till you find the one which is causing your issue. Perform the same divide and apply for Startup's too.

Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration',

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

Before reading your reply, i was on my computer and noticed (I had been using internet all day) that my WiFi speed is not only 1mbps-13mbps anymore, the range increased to 1-19.5, but nothing in between 19.5 and 13. I had been working some in the morning to fix the problem, and only did 2 things. I downloaded a previous version of my WiFi adapters driver. I thought maybe their might be a problem with the update, but I believe it didn't have any effect, (unless I didn't notice) Then, I took into consideration that this could have been a hardware problem and looked inside of my computer. I couldn't find where my WiFi adapter was, but thought it might be connected to where my Ethernet cables port is. I just fiddled with the port a little bit to see if anything was wrong with it, or if it was loose, but then again I believe that had no effect. Even though I was very happy my WiFi speed raised a little,, my problem was not solved. So I tried the steps starting Windows in clean boot. I did all of the instructions listed, but to my surprise, no effect. Since I came to the conclusion a service was not causing the issue, I did not do the method where turned on 5 services at a time. So what I take from what I've discovered is that its either a hardware problem or a driver software. 

I believe I should specify the hardware that has to do with my WiFi.

I have a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn WiFi Adapter

And in device manager, under Network Infrastructure Devices it says R7000 (Gateway).

The manufacturer is Netgear.

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 5/13/2010

Driver Version: 1.0.0.2

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

After trying to search automatically for a driver update for R7000 it says that the driver is up to date.

Thanks for the quick replies and help so far! -SirJetto

Sorry this didn't help.

It has been 6 days, please reply..

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, I am also having this problem. On all my other devices the internet is good only my computer is having really slow internet issues and I was wondering if you fixed the problem yet and if you did please tell me how I would really appreciate it, Thanks :)

Sorry this didn't help.