shared printer not accessible after windows 10 version 1803

I am trying to resolve sharing and network issues after the 1803 patch.

Initially my computers could not see each other on the network but after following suggestions on changes to various services that was fixed.

The next problem is the printer. It is installed through a USB connection on my main computer, and is being properly shared. The printer can be seen as a shared resource on the other computers, but when I try to connect from them nothing happens. The other computers eventually time out, meaning that they cannot print to the shared computer.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried browsing through the questions in the community section here, but can't find any discussion of similar issues.

|
Some additional info. I have gone through the add device menu, then the add printer by other options. I can "select a shared printer by name" and find the shared printer using the browse button. Pressing "Next" just puts me in an endless loop with no connection being made. So the computers can see that there is a shared computer, but they just can't connect (and yes, it is switched on and active)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

AS per the answer here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Are you connected to a domain network?

I would suggest you to check if the user account has permission to print and manage the printer. Refer these steps:

a) Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
b) Under Hardware and Sound, click on Devices and Printers
c) Locate your printer and right click.
d) Click on the Printer properties from the menu and select security tab.
e) Select your user account name from the list of user accounts.
f) Make sure that all the check boxes against the permissions are marked as “Allow”.

If the permission is already set as “allow”, then this could be a network setting issue. Check if your account is configured correctly to the network and check the network options.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Printer troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.
b) Click on Troubleshooting.
c) Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
d) Click on Printer option.
e) Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

Please let me know what happens
Patience is a virtue

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did as you suggested on both the client and host computers. No printers appear on the client computer since it has to be connected for that to happen and it is not connecting (even though the computer sees it as a shared resource). It does appear on the host computer obviously. It has the "group or user names" fully checked for "Everyone" and "*host name*". I fully checked everything else under the tab as well. The client computer still cannot connect.

The network is properly configured and file/drive sharing works fine. The printer is shared as well, except the client computers cannot connect to it.

Troubleshooting the printer just returns the cannot identify the problem result, as it does for everything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One solution I found was to Run Command Prompt as Admin.

Run the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer.
Patience is a virtue

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My conclusion is that printer sharing does not work in Windows 10 any more. I hooked the printer up to the modem with a LAN cable and all the computers now have access to it.

My problem now is that I am short a LAN socket on the modem, so I guess I will need a switch now.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that works too I guess! :D

Glad you got it figured it out. Anymore questions, feel free to ask.
Patience is a virtue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My conclusion is that printer sharing does not work in Windows 10 any more. I hooked the printer up to the modem with a LAN cable and all the computers now have access to it.

My problem now is that I am short a LAN socket on the modem, so I guess I will need a switch now.

I had the same problem with sharing a USB printer (HP LaserJet 3200) which first stopped working on my laptop computer. I then connected it to our desktop computer and shared it with the laptop, and it worked for some time. But after several updates of version 1803 (Build 17134.112) even that solution stopped working. I then found an advice on the net suggesting to check if SMB1.0 was disabled. You can do  that by searching for "windows features" and scroll down to SMB1.0. In my case one of the child boxes (SMB1.0/CIFS Client) was not checked. Having checked that box the printing returned after a restart of the laptop.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That was unchecked on my computer as well. Don't know if that was the problem or not, since I have the printer connected directly to the network with a LAN cable now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That was unchecked on my computer as well. Don't know if that was the problem or not, since I have the printer connected directly to the network with a LAN cable now.

I know that a cable and a switch will solve the problem. But to let other people know of a cheaper method I wanted to tell that the SMB1.0-settings solved my problem as well.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed the instructions in this video and got mine working properly again. https://youtu.be/FfHXoRsAQ18

Hope it helps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2021 Views 21,864 Applies to: