Question

Q: OWA S/MIME Control in Microsoft EDGE

Does anyone know of a fix to implement the OWA S/MIME control in Microsoft Edge browser?  So far I can't even see any of the same options that would allow me to use it as a plug in.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To understand the problem with OWA, Edge, and S/MIME you need to understand that the OWA S/MIME control is an Active-X control.  By design Edge does not support Active-X (and Browser Helper Objects); that's good from a security perspective but bad if you want to use Edge with OWA.  Windows 10/Edge is a work in progress, Microsoft is planning to use other technologies to replace Active-X sometime in the future.  In the meantime just use IE11; it's not that big a deal is it?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

The big deal with this limitation is the fact that using with IE11 in Win10 it will not upload attachments to my emails.  So now in order to use the S/MIME controls to digitally sign or encrypt and email I have to use IE11.  If I need to attach a file to my email I have to use Edge and not have the option to sign or encrypt.  Not the best option for either.  Having full Edge capability to work with our email is what we are asking for, not a half solution to require the use of 2 browsers.

Sorry this didn't help.

The big deal with this limitation is the fact that using with IE11 in Win10 it will not upload attachments to my emails.  So now in order to use the S/MIME controls to digitally sign or encrypt and email I have to use IE11.  If I need to attach a file to my email I have to use Edge and not have the option to sign or encrypt.  Not the best option for either.  Having full Edge capability to work with our email is what we are asking for, not a half solution to require the use of 2 browsers.

Actually, I have successfully attached files to signed emails in OWA with IE11.  Although there is a UI problem when doing so.  The attachments don't show when you first upload them; however, if you save as draft, then reopen to send you should see the attachments.

Last time I did this, though, one of my two attachments showed up to recipients as a blank Word doc, so the OWA - IE 11 combo still has issues.

I haven't yet tried an encrypted email with attachments, but I would think if digital signed emails work, encrypted ones should too.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried these steps, but for some reason when I open OWA for my DOD email in IE 11 on my laptop, I still don't see the Email Security option to allow me to install S/MIME.

Sorry this didn't help.

The last Windows 10 Update that occurred 1 week ago broke the functionality in IE 11.

It was working perfectly in IE 11 up until the upgrade took place.

I have no idea of where to begin to look for the problem.

Being that the S/MIME capability is just missing in Edge, I figured I would at least mount the challenge of getting the control.

Still looking.

-d

Sorry this didn't help.

IE 11 is not broken as of the last update that came through a week ago.  :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I use to use IE as a work around for OWA not being able to open emails encrypted with S/MIME when opened in Edge. However IE is no longer working either. When I open the encrypted email or open any OWA popout window I get the header of the email and no body. This started to occur in the last few weeks after a major update was pushed out.

Now OWA works fine in Edge or Chrome on a WIN10 machine, so long as I don't need to open a digitally signed or S/MIME encrypted email. Unfortunately I use OWA to access my DOD mail account and need this feature.

Is MS going to correct the issue any time soon?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Use InPrivate browsing and add the websites you use S/MIME with to your Trusted Sites list.

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

I had this same problem for months.  Turns out OWA is 32 bit.  Somehow my IE was switched from 32 to 64 bit.  I started 32 bit IE and the problem went away.

Shortcut target should be: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Jeff

Sorry this didn't help.

I used the work around for a while, then there were some updates that kept my encrypted emails from opening up in IE.  I then had to remove the updates and that worked for about 3 months until the latest of a few updates came through that I can't remove.  Now I have no way to read my encrypted emails as in IE the window opens and nothing happens.  At least in Edge it shows that S/MIME is not there and doesn't even have a tab that I can open to install it.  We need this S/MIME so that we can do our work!!!  Please come up with something so we can do our work.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 16,780 Last updated: May 25, 2018 Applies to: