Question

Q: On a fresh install of Windows 10 1511 64bit, can't turn on WiFi in HP dv7t-6c00 CTO laptop

As per the title, on a fresh install of Windows 10 1511 64bit (fully updated, no customization), can't turn on WiFi in HP dv7t-6c00 CTO laptop.

So far I have narrowed it down to Airplane Mode and "HP Wireless Button"

Drivers for HP wireless button is installed BUT turning hardware WiFi button on the

keyboard (Fn+F12) on or off, turns Airplane Mode on or off, and in either case, WiFi

remains OFF.

Drivers for Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter are also installed.

Sliding the "WiFi switch" under Settings > Network & Internet > doesn't work. It does

slides to right but returns to off right-away.

I'm hoping if there are any registry key / command prompt option to completely

disable/remove Airplane Mode (not just on/off), and then the hardware WiFi button (Fn

+F12) will turn on WiFi instead of toggle between turning Airplane Mode.

Thanks a million in advance.

Screenshots:

Hello Jaags,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We're sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced.

I suspect the issue might with the incompatible Network drivers. To confirm the same, try the following. Go to System tray (I.e. Taskbar), right-click on the Network icon then select Troubleshoot problems. Keep observing the on-screen windows while it repairing the network adapter. When it comes to Resetting network adapter phase, you can see the system connects to internet again in System tray.

If the problem still persist, then try with the below mentioned troubleshooting steps.

Method 1:

Update the Network drivers from Device Manager manually and check if this helps.

a) Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

b) Spot and expand the “Network Adaptor”.

c). Right click on the network driver and select “Disable”. When it prompts to choose an option, click OK. Close the Window, come back and try to re-enable it. Now check if the issue still appears.

d). If it doesn't fix the issue, then Right click on the same driver and select “Uninstall” then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start. Check and see if it resolve the issue. (Recommended step).

Method 2:

Try installing latest drivers in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the latest and available driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Uninstall the existing network driver from your PC through Control Panel.

c. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.

d. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 or operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Keep us posted how it went.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with Dell Inspiron. Could not fix it using Mr. Kotakuri's suggestions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please refer to the below dell support link for further diagnosis.

Also, please follow the below windows 10 link for more information.

Please let us know if the issue got resolved or you need any further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, do you find a solution for this problem ?

i got this trouble too and its really nightmare...

I dont want go back to windows 7. this is my only problem.

I got core i7, 8gb ram, ssd, etc. notebook costs 1350dolars 4years before and HP doesnt support older notebooks than august 2013...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,212 Last updated: April 26, 2018 Applies to: