New "nearby sharing" feature does not work

Bluetooth on and working, I cannot get this new feature to work at all

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2019 Views 3,148 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same problem. Even tried connecting both via Bluetooth and still can't share files. 

I'm having the same problem. 

Edit- I found that the defunct Homegroup is still listed in Sharing. It has to be changed to Specific People--Everyone to share files. Not sure this will work for nearby sharing but it is a setting that needs to be changed. Also needing change is the User folder. Win 10 does not see the correct user folder to access. It comes up as Default User instead of the real named folder. Then it says the folder is empty. We need help.

Yes, no matter what I try it seems that Nearby sharing does not work. With both Bluetooth and Nearby sharing turned "On" and Wi-Fi connected in three adjacent devices the "Share" feature cannot find the other devices. A fix would be nice sometime soon, please...

I found a post from Andre that might apply--

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/new-nearby-sharing-feature-does-not-work/61c0e797-9baf-4809-a8fa-82d88d93c93e?messageId=ca30a189-ca4a-44bd-98e0-0a6d2c872ba9 

I haven't investigated it yet but I already had changed password protection and it still doesn't work. 

Update-- nearby sharing does not work on my old computers that have been running Windows 10 fine and been updated to 1803. It does not even have the option to select it in Notifications and Alerts. However, normal file sharing works ok now. 

Hi mlg,

Where specifically did you see the Homegroup shown? Sorry, I'm not completely clear what you mean by it being listed in Sharing. Is that on a folder by folder basis? Also, concerning the user folder, do I have to share my entire user folder for this to work? If so, that seems like a bit of a security risk.

It not significant but it shows up with right click on a file or folder and choosing Give Access to. There really is no Homegroup and choosing it does nothing. Sharing shows contacts and searches for Nearby Devices. I thought it had something to do with Nearby Sharing not working, but turns out that my older computers don't have the option for that. Network sharing still works but must be setup again. 

I tried changing that setting and indeed it did not work. Looks like Microsoft has some work to do...
There was an update today. Maybe with some improvements. Nearby Sharing is probably not useful in a home setting, but it would be fun to try it.

Bluetooth on and working, I cannot get this new feature to work at all

Can you try the steps outlined in this article and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Paul...

Thanks. Problem was old hardware. I also found that Homegroup sharing when selecting Give Access To by right clicking on a folder still works to share folders even though there is no homegroup.  Very handy since Network & Sharing Center doesn't have the specific folders to share list anymore. But still odd that Homegroup is mentioned at all.