Network Permissions on Windows 10

I upgraded to Windows 10 last year when I had to get a new computer. I also got a laptop with Win 10. Now I was told that networking within Win 10 was a lot easier but that's crap! I have had nothing but problems. So I used the Homegroup option instead to access my laptop from my computer. Now, Windows upgraded and did away with the Homegroup (which you only brought out in Windows 7 so that didn't last long, did it?) but it was the only option I could get to work. Now I have no homegroup and cannot access my laptop.

I have set up advanced sharing to shared each computer/drive/files etc. but still I get the useless message - "You do not have permission to access \\[computer name]\c. Contact your network administrator to request access." Bollocks! I am the administrator and I can't get the bloody permissions to work!

I don't want safe mode booting and any other pointless suggestions that would probably go over my head. I want a simple answer that will fix this problem without having to disable Anti virus or firewalls or rebooting through safe mode. Why eliminate an option that worked? Give me something that WILL work!

Unhappy customer

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Microsoft removed Homegroup from Windows 1803 (build 17134) and that caused problems for networking.

To get you PC's to visible under File Explorer network section then most important part is to start some required services.

Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic.

Services are:

- Function Discovery Provider Host

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host

Look more details about sharing from my example how I have setup my network to work with Win 10 1803.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I got last halfway through your explanation. But seeing my computers in File Explorer is NOT the issue. I can see the computers and can get into the computer's C drive. I just can't access the User folders - which is where the files are stored. It gives me the permission denied message.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please calm down. We don't need rude words. Thank you.

Make sure it is a Private Network (via Network and Sharing Center). On all PCs!

All PCs are wifi?

What's set in the Advanced sharing settings in Network and Sharing Center for Private and for All Networks?

Please tell the IP<->hostname relationships of your PCs.

Please check what gets listed in This PC > Manage > Shared Folders > Shares.

Do you have the same username/password accounts on both (?) PCs?

Are these accounts local or MSA (Microsft Accounts)?

Do you use any third-party security/firewall programs?

Check in event log about those "access denied" messages you get. Might contain more detailed info.

--
FAQs für IE und Edge: https://edgefaq.de

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, your first message contradicts you. It says: You do not have permission to access \\[computer name]\c. This looks like "c" to me, doesn't it? Inc ase you resolved this problem: how? What else *exactly* (path) do you want to access? Are you talking of Public Folders of the users or complete user profile of those users?
--
FAQs für IE und Edge: https://edgefaq.de

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you check all those advanced network, share and security settings?

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Who knows? Can't understand your gibberish. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same headache; two computers both of which cannot get permissions to access shared folders. Frustrating and I haven't found a good tutorial on how all this security and firewalls/virus checkers fit together. Sure would be nice if there was a link to an informative website that puts this information in the form of A B C's of permission to sharing files and folders! 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. I find it impossible to believe only so few people suffer from this problem: computers on a network can see each other and the shared drives too. I can read and copy. I can't paste, delete or move stuff in folders on other computers.
  2. I find it most annoying there is no step-by-step guide provided by Microsoft to solve this problem. All you get is very smart people telling you to share folders and set permissions. Well, I am administrator on all PCs and they all can see each other. It's just that the administrator of pc A has no rights on pc B and vice versa. There is no way to detect or choose an administrator to rule them all. I could give permissions to "Everyone" but how safe is that solution?
  3. Tell me how to become an administrator who can rule over all PCs in the network using just one PC.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm with ya. Cannot for the world figure this out. Have set up BOTH PCS to share both C and D drives, but each time I click on them it says the ridiculous 'you do not have permission to access \\C\ contact your admin etc etc. This is a royal PITA!! I frigging shared BOTH drives on BOTH PCS and am STILL getting this nonsense! Quit making this so ridiculously annoyingly difficult to do, Microsoft!!! Should be a simple 'share file/drive' and bam, shared, but nope. Not with Microsoft. NOTHING is simple with Microsoft!! >:{

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FINALLY I may have found it:

Seems computer NAMES are half as powerful as IP addresses.

This can help quite some Win10 victims who are clueless after the changes in groups for computers. 

So, type in the IP address to make a connection if the name in text gives no full permission.

With the cmd window and the command ipconfig you can find out the addresses of both computers.

You'll find a number like this: 192.168.70.5

Try opening one pc on the other computer by typing its ip address plus two backslashes proceeding the numbers, in a windows explorer window. In the example it would be \\192.168.70.5

But every pc has different ip numbers of course.

Also don't use an internet browser: it must be windows explorer, you use to find C: etc.etc. And beware: \\ and not //

If that doesn't work, you MUST add the same user with the same password on both PC's.

You gotta google that yourself. This means you must log in, on each PC with the same user and same password.
This greatly improves the chance they can see each other's shared drives with full access!

I sincerely hope someone will benefit from this info and solve the obnoxious Microsoft sharing problem.

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2021 Views 39,050 Applies to: