Network dies (WLAN autoconfig) after KB3116908 (Windows 10 1511 OS Build 10586.17 and above)

As of this writing, the current OS Build is Windows 10 Version 1511, OS Build 10586.29.

Before KB3116908 was released (OS Build 10586.14) my Windows 10 Home installation was stable. It was a recent installation (clean install, not an upgrade install), with current drivers and firmware. Broadcom network chipset, for those of you playing at home.

KB3116908 took me to OS Build 10586.17, and I quickly began to experience issues losing my network connection entirely. A bit of research showed that WLAN Autoconfig was stopping - stopping and restarting Windows Connection Manager service, then restarting WLAN Autoconfig would restore network connectivity briefly, but the problem would return shortly. I confirmed drivers, router configuration, network configuration, and did several standard troubleshooting steps (check integrity of system files, etc). No resolution.

KB3116900 was hit my system two days later, going to OS Build 10586.29. While my hopes were high, the issue remained. Network connectivity would be lost shortly after login, with WLAN Autoconfig stopping.

After two days of troubleshooting, I finally fell back to OS Build 10586.14 by uninstalling KB3116900 and KB3116908 and blocking the same using instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

System was stable through a weekend of heavy use.

So far, I've seen others reporting the same issue with Broadcom and Atheros networking equipment. I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 that's fat and happy on OS Build 10586.29, so I know this isn't a global issue with all configurations. So far, of all the reports I've read, only falling back to pre-KB3116908 status has worked.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2018 Views 384 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Looks like update KB3124200 has solved the issue for me as well. Have been running all evening after application of the update without any wireless access issues. Many thanks for the heads up!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.