ICS (Internet connection sharing) dosent work in Windows 10 1607

I have this problem since updating to 1607 version.

I did a clean install with 1607 iso but the problem persist.

It's a windows 1607 bug. I have to disable and re-enable ICS every time i reboot the PC.

The issue is reported here:

http://superuser.com/questions/1110866/internet-connection-sharing-stopped-working-after-windows-10-anniversary-update/1113195#1113195

Thanks for your help!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Amir,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Before we proceed any further, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the make and model of the PC you are using?
  • What are the specific error messages relevant to the issue? 

Also, the web link you have referred to in this case for a better clarity on the issue, is related to Hyper-V switches on Virtual Machines.

If the same applies in your case, I suggest you to post your question in the Technet Forum, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the following link to reach out to them and post your query there: 

Technet | Forums

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issue here.

No makes nor models. It's an assembled PC using purchased components. Intel i7 on a Gigabyte motherboard. I have an Intel Gigabit CT adapter as LAN and an Bigfoot Killer as METRO connection.

A third virtual adapter (PPPoE) tunnels over METRO connection and the connection is shared via LAN.

The connection is shared, connected, and APPEARS in order, but will not route. As per usual.

a) Disable sharing the connection.

b) Hit OK to the warning that you need to reconnect.

c) Enable sharing the connection (Share to: LAN)

d) Disconnect and reconnect the internet link (PPPoE)

e) Magic!

And it will keep magicking until restarted.

This is a separate issue from the error when sharing the connection and separate from the pre-anniversary update, in which ICS would not work until connection was reconnected 10 minutes after system boot, when the sodding ICS services would finally get to it.

Reconnecting the connection will NOT resume service, the connection needs to be un-shared and the re-shared.

Warning, rant.

ICS is a joke, has been since W8 and a base function of the OS is treated like an afterthought.

Linux: Masquerade

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Restarting procedure: NONE. Just Works.

---------------------------------

Mac: Internet Sharing

Combobox: Share From (list of interfaces)

Combobox: Share To computers using: (List of interfaces)

<OK>

Restarting procedure: NONE. Just Works.

---------------------------------

Windows:

* Right click in tray, open Network and Sharing Center

OR

Win+I, Network, Status, Network and Sharing Center

OR

Win, n, e, t, w, o, r, k, space, a, n, d, space, s <enter>

* Change Adapter Settings

* Find your adapter (I have 9)

* Right click, Properties.

* Select "Sharing"

* Check "Allow other blah blah"

* Select your other connection from the combobox. (Hope you named them. No MAC, IP or identifier is used. Network 1, Network2, Network 3)

* Click OK.

* Won't work.

* Disable the connection

* Enable the connection.

* Go back to properties and marvel at the comobobox now being an edit box.

Restart procedure:

1)  Sigh heavily.

2) Restart PC

3) Notice wifi/HTPC/IoT/devices are all dead.

4) Physically go to the PC, you can't do this remotely because it requires manual reconnect (Step 29).

5) Win+I

6) Network and stuff

7) Status

8) Network and Sharing Center (Hop to old UI)

9) Change Adapter Settings.

10) Select Adapter

11) Right Click

12) Properties

13) Sharing tab

14) DISABLE sharing.

15) OK.

16) OK (warning, you need to reconnect to blah!)

17) Right Click

18) Properties

19) Sharing tab

20) ENABLE sharing.

21) OK

22) OK (warning, you need to reconnect to blah!)

23) Right click

24) Connect/disconnect

25) Marvel at the Metro interface being open with the VPN tab, because reasons. (Hop back)

26) Click Dial-up

27) Select the connection you wish

28) Click Disconnect

29) Click Connect <<< CANNOT BE DONE THROUGH THE INTERNET REMOTELY

30) With a bit of luck, your ICS is up and running again.

31) You need some updates/You need to restart/This is Windows Home so **** you, I'm restarting anyway. Next morning, it's all dead again.

So just follow these easy 30 steps and Internet Connection Sharing, one of the easiest things to do, can be yours in a jiffy.

Here's a simpler version, however:

1) Install VMWare, VirtualBox or any other emulation software.

2) Quick-deploy an image of Linux(Masquarade), MacOS(Internet Sharing), or Windows before 8 (ICS).

Done. I'm not even joking. My old W7 license is still relevant today, as I can donate 512M of RAM out of my i7, 5GHz PC with 8G of RAM to a VM that sits in the tray and works as a router, connection sharer, firewall, resource monitor and many others. For the price of a tab in Chrome. Less if it's YouTube.

This is ridiculous. Microsoft, please.

"Hi, son? It's mum. Wifi's down"

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue at work too after the update... Disabling Connection sharing and enabling it again fixes the problem... It worked fine before the update...

And I really hate when my computer that works 24/7/365 reboots itself when I'm away... It breaks everything until I come back and manually run all the programs that need to be run... They can't autorun because they need secret input from me every time... Why can't Windows just work for months like other Systems do?..

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue at work too after the update... Disabling Connection sharing and enabling it again fixes the problem... It worked fine before the update...

And I really hate when my computer that works 24/7/365 reboots itself when I'm away... It breaks everything until I come back and manually run all the programs that need to be run... They can't autorun because they need secret input from me every time... Why can't Windows just work for months like other Systems do?..

You can bypass some of the grief:

* Ignore all startup items and make them in a batch file.

* Manually start services you need before launching stuff.

* Tell Windows to not restart automatically if it has updates (if you have Pro or higher)

==============================

Oh, I just found the cherry on top of my ICS issue:

Ethernet adapter LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8124:4bd8:209a:17c7%10
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.23.199
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

When you stop sharing internet on adapter LAN, adapter LAN reverts to "unconfigured" so you can't even do this from another LAN computer - not only you can't do it over the internet, you can't do it over LAN, either. You have to physically hook up monitor, keyboard and possibly a mouse if you want it done in under an eon.

Jeez.

Could we PLEASE have a FIX on a BROKEN component of Windows 10? I have enough security fixes. My definitions are up to date. Please. Fix this.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can bypass some of the grief:
* Ignore all startup items and make them in a batch file.
* Manually start services you need before launching stuff.

Could we PLEASE have a FIX on a BROKEN component of Windows 10? I have enough security fixes. My definitions are up to date. Please. Fix this.

Unfortunately, I can't put everything in a batch file to start itself... It's related to terrorist activity I'm doing, and it requires me to enter some secret credentials that should never be written anywhere in order to start all the machinery...

Yes, Microsoft should definitely fix this or I can't really continue to do what I'm doing... Or I'll have to switch to Linux and write all the tools from scratch...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

After reboot the "Internet Connection Sharing" doesn't start, its startup state set to Manual (Triggered).

But even if I start it manually or set startup state to "Automatic", the service starts and keeps working, but there is no Internet access in my home network until I disable and re-enable ICS on my WAN interface.

I triple checked this behavior by clean installation of W10 build 1607, it acts always the same. I tried different driver versions for my network adapters - default from Windows Update, latest version from Intel website and latest drivers provided by my laptop manufacturer - the problem still exists.

I also made a clean installation of W10 build 1511 and the Internet Connection Sharing was working perfect, until I installed the Anniversary Update. After upgrade, ICS service startup state was set to "Automatic" and it was started on system startup, but the internet access in my home network didn't work until disabling/re-enabling the ICS on WAN interface.

Funny thing - Internet Connection Sharing definitely worked just fine on my old laptop with Windows 10 build 1607, but now I sold it and I there's no way to find a difference in configuration to figure out the problem. I faced this problem only after I bought my current laptop (Dell Precison M4800) a week ago. But since I tried clean Windows installation and different drivers I don't think its related only to my computer, especially because there are another people having this problem after Anniversary Update:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/internet-connection-sharing-no-longer-works-ver/1c8ffdff-84e8-4124-b1a5-379df6eb2959

http://superuser.com/questions/1110866/internet-connection-sharing-stopped-working-after-windows-10-anniversary-update#

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Possible workaround via powershell script and task manager:

http://superuser.com/questions/470319/how-to-enable-internet-connection-sharing-using-command-line

Worksforme:
$m = New-Object -ComObject HNetCfg.HNetShare
$m.EnumEveryConnection |% { $m.NetConnectionProps.Invoke($_) }
$c1 = $m.EnumEveryConnection |? { $m.NetConnectionProps.Invoke($_).Name -eq "Ethernet" }
$c2 = $m.EnumEveryConnection |? { $m.NetConnectionProps.Invoke($_).Name -eq "Ethernet USB" }
$config1 = $m.INetSharingConfigurationForINetConnection.Invoke($c1)
$config2 = $m.INetSharingConfigurationForINetConnection.Invoke($c2)
$config1.DisableSharing()
$config2.DisableSharing()
$config1.EnableSharing(0)
$config2.EnableSharing(1)

If I just use config1.DisableSharing and then config1.EnableSharing - Powershell will crash and ICS will be enabled for some unseen connection called like "ethernet_32768". I don't know why and opened for explain from someone who know powershell and ICS much better than me (I am really newbie and preffer bash ;) ).
"Ethernet" is my Internet connection, "Ethernet USB" - 2nd network via USB adapter.

An original idea... That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them.

78 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Actually the reason of crashing is memory corruption.

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at IDispatchInvoke(IntPtr , Int32 , INVOKEKIND , DISPPARAMS& , Variant& , ExcepInfo& , UInt32& )
   at System.Management.Automation.ComInterop.UnsafeMethods.IDispatchInvoke(IntPtr dispatchPointer, Int32 memberDispId, INVOKEKIND flags, DISPPARAMS& dispParams, Variant& result, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32& argErr)
   at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Object )
   at System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2[T0,T1,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.DynamicInstruction`3.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.LightLambda.RunVoid1[T0](T0 arg0)
   at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor.RunClause(Action`1 clause, Object dollarUnderbar, Object inputToProcess)
   at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor.Complete()
   at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessorBase.DoComplete()
   at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.DoCompleteCore(CommandProcessorBase commandRequestingUpstreamCommandsToStop)
   at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input)
   at System.Management.Automation.PipelineOps.InvokePipeline(Object input, Boolean ignoreInput, CommandParameterInternal[][] pipeElements, CommandBaseAst[] pipeElementAsts, CommandRedirection[][] commandRedirections, FunctionContext funcContext)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`6.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
   at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.LightLambda.RunVoid1[T0](T0 arg0)
   at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor.RunClause(Action`1 clause, Object dollarUnderbar, Object inputToProcess)
   at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor.Complete()
   at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessorBase.DoComplete()
   at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.DoCompleteCore(CommandProcessorBase commandRequestingUpstreamCommandsToStop)
   at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input)
   at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
   at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()
   at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineThread.WorkerProc()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

That all started after the Anniversary update.

More it seems to affect people who have PPPoE connectoin and are trying to share this. 

For me I have had to restart ICS like daily to keep it sharing the connection... For some reason it just stops sharing, so I wrote a script that was working until Anniversary update came out. There are so many refrences to the same issue. Powershell script just crashing with mostly unknown reasons. For some reason there is no builtin functions with netsh for setting up sharing over script nor actually in PowerShell... Most of the scripts are connecting to Com-Object since no alternative like that $m = New-Object -ComObject HNetCfg.HNetShare and this is certainly all Microsoft's thing left uncompleted and should be fixed... but well... When MS has listened to customers about bugs and complaints. The problems with ICS are as old as ICS is and seems like none have been fixed.

Best regards,

Kris

Sorry this didn't help.

You MAY have a different issue from the rest of us mate. I have no memory corruption issue, and I haven't seen that message before.

Also, my ICS is working just fine, it just doesn't start. Once ON, it stays like that until next reboot, which might be weeks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The issue is quite the same, just the error message isn't usually shown. It doesn't start for me either. I used to use PS scripts to make sure it is setting up correctly but after update to 1607 the scripts don't work, after some fiddling, I found out script crashes at $config1.EnableSharing(0) part and gave me the error of memory corruption, which is not the case. It seems MS is marking it as memory consumption due to resources trying to access the same portion of the memory, and for some reason it all started after the update, not for only me, but many other. 

As you were describing the Restart procedure, I was previously doing it from command line, disabling the sharing, re-enabling sharing and at some point I was even dialing in again with PPPoE, but seemed, it wasn't that needed for me at least. After update the script doesn't work, the UI has issues showing right share and even sharing correctly so disabling everything and enabling again is annoying to say the least. At least for me after those issues started with 1607 I decided it is time to go for linux and restart once per year if lucky :).

The issue with connection sharing dropping randomly might be some other issue, sometimes it was 3 weeks, sometimes few days. Had with win 7 too, but got rid of it somehow back then. The time between reboots for me is usually 6-8 weeks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2020 Views 36,026 Applies to: