I factory reset a laptop, and it keeps having difficulties connecting to the wi fi access point; it keeps cutting out, and troubleshooting fixes the error temporarily.

So, yeah, title has most of the story. 

I was excited about this laptop as otherwise it's pretty high end. What I didn't expect was it to have far more difficulty connecting to the internet than pretty much all of my other devices. I think BRIEFLY it was able to connect to a website via wi fi, but it's so insignificant and temporary that it's not at all usable. The bars in the wi fi signal usualy sits at one, whilst on my other laptop it's on max in the same exact spot. 

Ethernet works on the reset laptop. 

I believe before the factory reset it didn't have this issue...I'm not fully sure, as it's been sitting around for a few months and was being fixed for an entirely unrelated issue, so I'm not totally sure. 

I did roughly try getting closer to the router, and the issue and the lack of signal/bars on it didn't seem to improve at all. I might be wrong about this. 

And, finally, what's bizarre is that microsoft troubleshooter does in fact fix the "no internet" issue sometime, it just says a problem with the router was fixed...which makes no sense considering that no other device is having this issue. 

Any help would be appreciated. This is a very good laptop and tbh I'm not really ready to give up on it. 

Hmm, let me correct myself. I moved it around some more and it seems like one feet makes a difference in whether or not it can connect to the wi fi point...but for whatever reason getting closer than that doesn't at all make it any more steady or the bars go to max. It seems to refuse to reconnect on its own usually without troubleshooting. 

What puzzles me is that the prior owner of the laptop used to use it farther away from the wi fi point without any issues with the wi fi connectivity, so I feel like something *might* be wrong with it. I just don't know what. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you gone Device Manager, Adapter type, click on the adapter, click on Power Management, and remove the check from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"?
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. I just happened upon another creepy problem....bluetooth doesn't at all appear to work. I'm trying to connect my headphones, which have connected to all my other devices to it, and it's just not showing up. In fact nothing shows up under bluetooth devices when it's searching which is weird.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, tried that at your suggestion, still has the issue. 

Alongside the weird bluetooth error I just found I can't help but think there might be something very wrong...on the upside at least it does seem capable of connecting to the internet, even if briefly. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Please check this thread particularly the post of Greg, one of our community MVPs and advisors, it may not be the exact same issue that you are experiencing but the suggestions provided may help fix your wifi problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Go and check the 4th post of Greg: Starts with "I'll give you everything that works to fix Wifi" then kindly follow all of his suggestions listed there. There should be a handful for you to try.

I hope that this information would be useful to you. Let's hope for the best. Stay safe!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another piece of info: the internet on it, even when I get to the right spot, is tragically awful. For example it's probably 1 percent as fast as my other laptop...a laptop that's older than it. It's basically impossible to look up anything or download anything, or watch anything. But otherwise the actual system/functionality performance is far better than my old laptop. 

Again I don't think the prior owner had such an issue. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have gotten halfway through the methods and nothing has worked so far. I'll continue tomorrow, though I'm starting to lose hope. 

Another error I uncovered was that the camera isn't at all working at all...like, not being detected. Not really sure what the heck went wrong with this laptop. 

Question: is it possible that getting a usb wi fi dongle would fix the error? I don't mind spending some money for a definite solution. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kitten-versus-world,

Thanks for your response and for the update. I appreciate your efforts also in performing the methods provided. Regarding your question, I believe it was included as another suggestion in the article. it may be worth the try to get a USB wifi dongle, best if you can borrow a wifi dongle first just for troubleshooting so that it may save you a little bit of money instead of buying a wifi dongle outright without knowing if it would work. Again I thank you for your cooperation and your time. Have a good week ahead.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, I'm interested in fixing the bluetooth issue. Any ideas? I already have a bluetooth adapter for headphones and honestly I'd find it a bit of a waste to get another bluetooth adapter for general use. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 64 Applies to: