How to: setup a Network with Windows 10

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

This article describes how to connect a wired or wireless network or create one in your home or office

Details

This article can now be found in its entirety at Groovypost.com

Connect Windows 10 to Wired, Wireless and P2P Networks

Thank you,

Andre

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 10, 2019 Views 47,007 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is great that you put this out there but I have to say the networking in windows 10 does not work. With Win 10 Pro I can not connect to my network shares on my win 8.1 computer. It keeps telling me I have the wrong username and password,  but I can connect to the win 8.1 computer through XP, vista, 7, 8  and linux no problems and the computer I had on win 10 that would not connect as soon as I went back to win 7 ultimate no problems connects like a champ.

Time for microsoft to get their networking as good as it was in windows 7. This needs to be fixed before I will move any other computers to win 10. I will also be advising all of my customers not to upgrade as if they lose their networking well it would be a disaster.

Seems to address all but the issue that I have.  I cannot get Win 10 to allow me to connect to a wifi network at work where I have to put in my own credentials.  Just get "Can't connect to this network" string.  

Searching for the router despite having turned on password sharing, etc, doesn't seem to work either.

Not fun.

Hey, I'm able to connect to the internet but for some strange reason, it isn't staying connected. I've tried the network troubleshooter, I've tried restarting the computer. The internet connects but then it just drops out then it comes back again...then it drops out again. I don't know why and I can't seem to get it fixed. Does this have anything to do with the Windows 10 upgrade or does it seem to be more of an issue with the signal inside of my house?

I am having difficulty in networking my Windows 10 PC with a machine running Vista through our router. When I put the password in on my Vista machine (or my PIN) it's not connecting. I have a 3rd PC running Windows 7 with no problems.

Any suggestions?

I don't believe this addresses the problem.  Before migrating to windows 10 I had no problem seeing my network drive attached to my router.  I now am forced to relay on using a cloud application app to see network files that comes from my Netgear router.
I just bought a new computer with Windows  10.  I am not the most knowledgeable computer user, but I am having many more issues with this system than any other I have used.  I have been trying to connect to my home network for several days with no success, even going so far as to buy a new wireless router.  I don't think it is me or my new router as I connected it easily in my old XP machine.   I couldn't even add  a wireless printer to this win10 computer after downloading the new drivers and using them.  But connecting it to the old XP machine was very easy.  As far as network connectivity, Microsoft has gone backwards with win 10. 

I just bought a new computer with Windows  10.  I am not the most knowledgeable computer user, but I am having many more issues with this system than any other I have used.  I have been trying to connect to my home network for several days with no success, even going so far as to buy a new wireless router.  I don't think it is me or my new router as I connected it easily in my old XP machine.   I couldn't even add  a wireless printer to this win10 computer after downloading the new drivers and using them.  But connecting it to the old XP machine was very easy.  As far as network connectivity, Microsoft has gone backwards with win 10. 

I'm having network issues with Windows 10 as well.  Brand new pc in the bedroom can see itself and the Lounge system but not the home server.  Lounge system cant see anything, not even itself and the home server sees only the router.

When Windows 98 was around I used to BUILD networks but windows 10 has me stumped!

I thing windows  7 is the best . So what it is a back dated vetsion . so I think you should go for windows  from today 
I have been putting off Windows 10 upgrades for almost a whole year because I was afraid of what the changes might do to my home network. My worst fears were realized when Microsoft pushed the latest Win 10 update which removed the Home Group networking feature. Though I never used Home Group - I've always connected to my devices wirelessly via network detection and secured password sharing. Obviously, that is no longer possible as all my Win 10 machines can see other computers on the network that DO NOT HAVE WIN 10  and vice versa. Yet, the Win 10 computers cannot see each other at all. I don't know what Microsoft is doing but it's not helping. As of late (from the latest update on 6/28/18), Win 10 cannot network. We needed a patch for this like, yesterday. 
All of your frustrations are mine too. It's not you - it's the changes made to Win 10 networking capabilities. At present, networking with a Win 10 machine, requires that the other computer must have an operating system other than Win 10. Such has been the case for me since the latest Win 10 updates.