How do I change wireless network priority in Windows 10?

For example, in Windows 7 there is a "Manage wireless networks" option where you can simply move wireless networks up and down to specify which should be given priority when more than one is available:

http://cdn5.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/image428.png

How do I do this in Windows 10?

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2019 Views 25,029 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I would like to inform you that managing wireless network option is not available by default but you can use the commands mentioned by "wpcoe" in the following link and check if that helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/manage-wireless-networks/9d2e0c32-cd33-41af-b677-bcafea9810d0

Note: Although the link is for previous version of Windows, but we can give it a try.

Hope the information is useful. Let us know if you need more information and we'll be glad to assist you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I totally agree I want to know the answer to the above question.  I dislike very much that my wifi keeps connecting to the office network next door when it is weak rather than my home network when I get home. 

I would totally like to set the home network as a network of higher priority when they are both in range.  In my case I'm at home most of the time & not at the office next door.  Unfortunately Windows 10 constantly chooses to connect to the weaker office signal first & the internet from that network is much slower than the home network, simply because signal strength is weaker.

Another place this is inconvenient:  when I setup multiple wifi networks at public events.  I want password to all saved, but as an event sponsor, I want my laptop to connect to the private network in the room so that I can get business done faster on the less bogged down network.. Windows 10 does not allow me to tell it to prefer one network or the other until I manually override it when I return to the event.

Every OS I have used prior to Windows 10 has given us this option.  (XP, Windows 7, Android, etc.)  I can't for the life of me imagine why microsoft would think removing control of this could be an improvement..  Please return control of this to your users!

261 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The information is useful only if you want to DELETE certain WiFi networks from the system. I connect to a MiFi device when on the road and my computer connects to it by default when I am at home. Considering the data limit on my MiFi is MUCH MUCH less than the limit I have on my home connection and certainly doesn't compare to my office bandwidth, I would prefer to have my laptop switch to the office or home connection whenever they are available so I don't use up valuable MiFi MBs.

The manage wifi networks allowed you to prioritize networks in Windows7 and this is something that MSFT needs to fix.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I second that this response was not helpful.

The issue I and others are having is priority. Your response has nothing to do with priority.

We need to be able to prioritize which wireless network windows should choose. I saw that this functionality will be added in SP1. I hope that comes soon and that it actually adds this functionality.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree that this is unhelpful and that I need the option to prioritize wifi connections. My use case has to do with an interactive projector with both WiFi and WiDi. I want to connect via wifi to the projector automatically and then switch to an in-room branch router automatically once WiDi is enabled. But I don't want it to pick up any connection, I want to be one of those 2 in that order.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-wireless-network-connections-windows-10 basically shows you how windows 10 handles adding / removing networks. I need to PRIORITIZE.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.howtogeek.com/131640/how-to-change-the-priority-of-wireless-networks-in-windows-8/

For Win8, but I just tried in Win10.  Priority can be done manually with the netsh command at a command prompt.

netsh wlan show profiles

followed by

netsh wlan set profileorder name="w1r3l3$$" interface="Wi-Fi" priority=1

...adjusted for the name of your profile name and interface name.

Note, if your top priority profile is already at the top, the tool will return a message saying nothing happened.  Try moving a different one to the top, then reverting.

114 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

MS does some of the dumbest **** when they upgrade windows. why TF would they remove this. whats the point? plain stupid

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The engineers probably though that an auto algorithm would choose the right network based on prior usage, signal strength etc, but of course it does not work in the real world.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dual band routers are pretty much the norm today.  With their growing popularity, Windows 7's network priority feature is not very appropriate.  It's actually kind of a nuisance if you have a dual band router.  Most newer wifi cards have features like Roaming Aggressiveness that will switch networks automatically if the signal of the current network becomes too weak.  You can also set it to be more or less aggressive with it's network switching.

Windows does remember automatically which network you prefer when more than one is available.  However if Roaming Aggressiveness is set to high it will force a network change when you don't want one.  Look in the advanced options for your Wi-Fi adapter and choose a lower value for Roaming.

Sorry this didn't help.