homegroup win10 not recognize printer & scanner on win7 computer

I have a homegroup set up on my win10 computer. I have access to win7 computer thru this homegroup. but I cannot see the printer & scanner connected to that computer. On the win7 computer I have the printers checked in the win7 homegroup settings. How can I get these to show up on my win10 computer? 

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2019 Views 948 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I understand your concern that you are unable to detect HomeGroup on Windows 10 laptop and print the connect.

We appreciate you for the effort and time that you spent to resolve the issue. I would like to assist you further from here.

I would like to inform that HomeGroup feature is present only Windows 10 Home edition.

If your operating system is on Windows 10 Home edition then, this issue might have occurred due to Network visibility/ drivers.

Try the below and check if it helps.Method 1:

Step 1: Turn on network discovery.

Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you won't see other computers and devices on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

1. Press Windows key, type sharing and click on Manage advanced sharing settings.
  2. Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option Turn on network discovery. 

Additionally, also visit to the below Microsoft link on Find PCs, devices, and content on your network

Refer to the section: To find shared items on a network

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Step 2: If the issue still persists, run HomeGroup troubleshooter and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

1. Press Windows key, type troubleshooting and select it.
  2. Click on View all in the left pane and click on HomeGroup.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I would like to inform that not all the drivers are compatible to Windows 10 as it is a new operating system.

You can install Windows 7/8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

1. Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
  2. Right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
  3. Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
  4. Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.
  5. Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for responding on Microsoft Community.

We are glad to hear that the issue is sorted out. It was my pleasure helping you out with this issue.

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance on Windows Operating System. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.