HomeGroup not working in Win 10

I checked out several of the previous posts and none seemed to address my issue.  I have two PCs, Dell is running Win 10 (1608) and HP is running Win 10 (1511).  Can't upgrade the HP to 1608, but that's another story! 

After installing the Anniversary Upgrade, set up HomeGroup on my Dell and received a password.  Recorded it.  Set up items to be shared.

Tried to attach my HP to the Homegroup.  At first was advised that no other PC was identified.  This later changed to "Windows detected another homegroup on your network."  Clicked Join Now button.  Asked for homegroup password.  Entered the one from the Dell setup and clicked Next.  After several minutes delay, got message "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network.  To create a new homegroup..."  I ignored this suggestion as I don't want to set up another homegroup.

I hope someone can help me figure this out, because I'm tired of transferring files via USB drive!

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2018 Views 13,514 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Donald,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Now, in order for the HomeGroup networking feature to be working, there are certain Windows services that need to be enabled and running. If you used a program to disable services or manually disabled them, it may be causing the problem.

The services that need to be turned on are listed below:

• DNS Client
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
  • Peer Networking Grouping
  • HomeGroup Provider
  • HomeGroup Listener
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host

You can turn on the services by pressing Windows key + R, type services.msc and hit enter now try clicking on Services.

Follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

I suggest you to check whether the network discovery is turned to on all the devices.

Follow the below steps.

Step 1: Type network in the search box and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.

Step 2: Select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.

Step 3: Choose Turn on network discovery or Turn off network discovery in the settings, and tap Save changes.

Method 2

There might be chances where firewall blocking the access and visibility of the PC. Try with the below mentioned command and see if it makes any difference.

• Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt(Admin) from the context menu
  • Type or copy paste the below command into command prompt and hit enter key.
    netsh advfirewall reset
  • Exit the command prompt. Reboot your PC and see if the problem still appears.

Additionally, temporarily disable any firewall/antivirus software installed in your computer to check if it is blocking any incoming/outgoing connections.

Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.  

Also refer to the below link and check if it helps.

HomeGroup from start to finish

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to HomeGroup in Windows 10, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm trying to take this step-by-step.  I checked on the required services.  All are running on Dell.  Does it make any difference what is shown as the start method?  These methods are shown for one or more of the listed services:

Automatic trigger start (1)

Manual (5)

Automatic (1)

Manual trigger start (1).

If any of these need to be changed, I probably should start with them.

Under your Method 1, Step 3 it says Turn on network discovery or Turn off network discovery.  I'm confused!  Which one should be selected?  Mine is now ON.

Please help me with these items on my Dell before I move on to additional steps or to the HP computer.

Thanks for your patience!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Donald,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Now, in order for the HomeGroup networking feature to be working, there are certain Windows services that need to be enabled and running. If you used a program to disable services or manually disabled them, it may be causing the problem.

The services that need to be turned on are listed below:

• DNS Client
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
  • Peer Networking Grouping
  • HomeGroup Provider
  • HomeGroup Listener
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host

You can turn on the services by pressing Windows key + R, type services.msc and hit enter now try clicking on Services.

Follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

I suggest you to check whether the network discovery is turned to on all the devices.

Follow the below steps.

Step 1: Type network in the search box and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.

Step 2: Select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.

Step 3: Choose Turn on network discovery or Turn off network discovery in the settings, and tap Save changes.

Method 2

There might be chances where firewall blocking the access and visibility of the PC. Try with the below mentioned command and see if it makes any difference.

• Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt(Admin) from the context menu
  • Type or copy paste the below command into command prompt and hit enter key.
    netsh advfirewall reset
  • Exit the command prompt. Reboot your PC and see if the problem still appears.

Additionally, temporarily disable any firewall/antivirus software installed in your computer to check if it is blocking any incoming/outgoing connections.

Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.  

Also refer to the below link and check if it helps.

HomeGroup from start to finish

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to HomeGroup in Windows 10, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

I have the same problem with Homegroup not being discovered.  Made sure all the settings were correct as described by Sayan.  Also tried Method 1 & Method 2.

Still no further on, so I have given up as these bugs soak up hours of peoples time.

Perhaps MS can get a bug fix in the next file upgrades??

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done all this already. Homegroup worked for a while, then stopped. None of the links or comments here addresses the question. I don't need to install it, and I shouldn't need to re-install it. I want the one I already installed to function.

Why is MS so dreadful, so relentlessly terrible, at actually admitting and addressing problems? (I know, no one will answer that question)

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Precisely. All of these bits of advice are irrelevant to the actual problem. It took me hours to learn - NOT from Microsoft but from others on the net - that there is no way to file share with Windows 10 except this. Now the **** thing has stopped working. MS diagnostics aren't worth the dynamite it'd take to blow them to where they belong, and their help pages aren't any better.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So you're suggesting my firewall all of a sudden on its own changed its settings? Homegroups was working. Now it is not. Nothing has been changed except MS's constant uninvited updates. So if there's a problem, MS caused it.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed

Sorry this didn't help.

The HomeGroup Listener Service is completely missing from my list.

None of my DLNA devices can see the media on my PC.

Are these two things related?  And how can I go about fixing this?

If I was able to help, please mark it so.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed

Thank you for trying to help out with this issue.

I looked into all 8 of the services you listed some were set to "Manual" setting others were set to auto but what exactly should the settings for these services be? Also all or most of the  Services have have Dependencies that also should be looked at and what are those dependencies?

As many others have already stated the issues should never have been allowed to happened, this shows yet another laps in quality control and a perceived since of "I don't care" towards all your users.

Please tell us that MS will not send yet another Update without first checking that all features, tools and access's are properly in place and working, this may slow you down a bit but you'll have a higher satisfaction among the masses.

Thanks again for your help

Nelson Vega

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps because you're not contacting Microsoft here. Just people who use Microsoft the same as you. And who may have the experience that will solve your problem.

Use your Feedback Hub to contact Microsoft.

OR use the Get Help App.

OR call them directly:  

Corporate Address

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-7329
USA
Tel: (425) 882-8080
Fax: (425) 706-7329

Sorry this didn't help.