Homegroup no longer detected

I'm working in Windows 10, but had the same problem with Windows 8.1. I start a homegroup on one computer (wired) and the wireless laptop detects the Homegroup, but when I try to connect, I eventually get the message that the Homegroup is no long detected. When I cancel out of that dialogue, I again get the message that a Homegroup is detected and the cycle repeats itself, with no connection.  So if the home group is detected, why isn't it connecting?

Question Info

Last updated July 8, 2018 Views 3,058 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've not seen the shared library message.  But that trigged that when I created my homegroup I choose to override the defaults to select all of the share types include files (which was defaulted to no file).  When I create the group I used new password and then had to join the homegroup from each pc on local network with the new password.  Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My home network consists of 2 Dell PC's running WIndows 10 each connected via ethernet cable to Spectrum Cable service model/router.

After finding the "settings" option on the start menu, I was able to go to "Network & Internet" and then to "status" and then to "Setup homegroup" on the right under "status".  There you should be able to either change settings of existing homegroup including removal and then create new homegroup which is what I did.

Don,

Your suggestions put me on a new route to set up the Homegroup and got me past the loop where I got the messages that the Homegroup was detected, then not detected, then detected. I got excited that the problem was solved. Not so.

Now I get the message: "Homegroup is currently sharing libraries." Eventually, that message goes away.  But when I go to File Explorer and try to see files in Homegroup, I get the message: "No other Homegroup PCs are available right now," when they are available.  I've left and rejoined the Homegroup, and get the same results, and the troubleshooter is worthless, as usual.

I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop and Dell laptop. Thanks for the ideas.

Sorry this didn't help.

My home network consists of 2 Dell PC's running WIndows 10 each connected via ethernet cable to Spectrum Cable service model/router.

After finding the "settings" option on the start menu, I was able to go to "Network & Internet" and then to "status" and then to "Setup homegroup" on the right under "status".  There you should be able to either change settings of existing homegroup including removal and then create new homegroup which is what I did.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem on my win 10 PC's on local cable network.  I eventually found network settings for homegroup which showed no homegroup defined even though previously the network status showed existing homegroup.  I was able to create new homegroup with new password via the network, homegroup, setting page and then was able to join the new group on both win 10 pcs to get shared files working again.  Once the this was done, then I could go to win 10 windows explorer nework and right click to add mapped drive folders on other pc as long as the folder had been shared.

This problem started after session with Intel true key which included restoring mcafee security to fix true key error about native messaging stopped after exiting chrome browser.  Clearly something got changed, but all is working with homegroup and mcafee firewall and true key now.

Don, I'm not following you. What do you mean "local cable network?"  Sorry, but the steps you describe are not clear to me. I've created new home groups many times, with no success in making connections between two Windows 10 systems.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem on my win 10 PC's on local cable network.  I eventually found network settings for homegroup which showed no homegroup defined even though previously the network status showed existing homegroup.  I was able to create new homegroup with new password via the network, homegroup, setting page and then was able to join the new group on both win 10 pcs to get shared files working again.  Once the this was done, then I could go to win 10 windows explorer nework and right click to add mapped drive folders on other pc as long as the folder had been shared.

This problem started after session with Intel true key which included restoring mcafee security to fix true key error about native messaging stopped after exiting chrome browser.  Clearly something got changed, but all is working with homegroup and mcafee firewall and true key now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Wayne,

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you run SFC and DISM. You may follow the steps provided by ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP) on his article.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried these "solutions" a dozen times with no connection. I continue to get the message that "Windows detected another homegroup on your network," but the second computer tried to join the homegroup, but it can not make the connection because the homegroup is no longer detected.  And the Windows 8 suggestions here might be similar, but they are confusing when using Windows 10. And I should mention in passing that the Homegroup troubleshooter is one of the most worthless pieces of software I've ever seen. I must have run it 50 times and had zero help from it.

I have to agree with you on the windows troubleshooter in my 12 years using a computer I have never had the troubleshooter fix 1 thing, tried to give feedback but won't even let me do that. ok got that off my chest. I'm having the same problem along with on both computer when I try and print the password I get a error code 2147500037 can't seem to find a fix for either one                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is my story. My computer worked with Windows 7 with HomeGroup. After upgrading to windows 10, home group stopped working and "join" option showed up. When I tried joining, it showed no homegroup was detected. Of cause, I entered the home group "password" I used before and verified it was correct. After several attempts, the "join" option disappeared and a "create" option became available which had not been there before. So I created a new home group. A new password was automatically created. Note that this computer was connected to the network with wire. After that, I went to a laptop which is wireless connected to the network . Tried joining and failed just like the first computer. Then I connected the cable to the laptop and tried joining the homegroup again. This time, it joined automatically and even didn't ask for password. I was happy with it. However, when I unpluged the wire connection and switched to wireless, the computer in the homegroup disappeared. It seems that wired and wireless are on different networks even though they are connected to the same router. Any idea?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem as well with both 10 and 8.1. What I found worked for me, is that when 8.1 was unable to join the homegroup and it ran the troubleshooter, it ALSO suggested running the troubleshooter on the original machine where the homegroup was created. It was a win 10 PC so ran the TS on that but came up with nothing (no errors detected). BUT when I went back to the other PC (8.1) and tried to join again, it worked! After it worked, all the other machines were able to join as well.

I'd be interested to know the configuration: which PC was wired and which wireless, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish I could say that it worked for me, but it didn't.  Same old story: HomeGroup detected, HomeGroup no long detected, HomeGroup detected, etc. 

Sorry this didn't help.