Question

Q: Homegroup no longer detected

I'm working in Windows 10, but had the same problem with Windows 8.1. I start a homegroup on one computer (wired) and the wireless laptop detects the Homegroup, but when I try to connect, I eventually get the message that the Homegroup is no long detected. When I cancel out of that dialogue, I again get the message that a Homegroup is detected and the cycle repeats itself, with no connection.  So if the home group is detected, why isn't it connecting?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you’re facing issue with HomeGroup, I will make sure to help you with this issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods and check if It helps:

Method 1:

Temporarily disable antivirus software (and any other security software) and firewall on the computer as a test and check if that fixes the issue follow the link below:

If disabling the antivirus software fixes the issue, you may have to configure the settings of the antivirus program accordingly.

Note: Make sure you enable the antivirus software, other security programs, and firewall.

Warning: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to go through the links and check.

(Steps are given for Windows 8.1 but applies to Windows 10 as well)

HomeGroup from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/homegroup-help#homegroup-start-to-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1

HomeGroup problems in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/homegroup-problems-in-windows

What you need to set up a home network

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-internet#1TC=windows-8

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you further.

Thanks.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried these "solutions" a dozen times with no connection. I continue to get the message that "Windows detected another homegroup on your network," but the second computer tried to join the homegroup, but it can not make the connection because the homegroup is no longer detected.  And the Windows 8 suggestions here might be similar, but they are confusing when using Windows 10. And I should mention in passing that the Homegroup troubleshooter is one of the most worthless pieces of software I've ever seen. I must have run it 50 times and had zero help from it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried that. I still does not work with virus protection disabled. Followed the steps multiple times, it sees the homegroup, asks you to join, then during the joining process can no longer find the homegroup. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I get the same thing with windows 10. I make a homegroup. everyone can see it, it even shows the pc name correctly for the pc that has the homegroup started. I click 'join now' it asks the password. I type it in, I get a thinking icon then an error "windows no longer detectects a homegroup on this network" Like it just vanished.....

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree the HomeGroup troubleshooter is total ineffective.  My HomeGroup worked perfectly in W8.1 with a number of W7 computers but now with W10 after the fixes applied from the Homegroup not working post fails to re-establish with the correct password and disappears during the setup process. Can someone suggest a proper fix please, it is wasting hours of everybody's time

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree the HomeGroup troubleshooter is total ineffective.  My HomeGroup worked perfectly in W8.1 with a number of W7 computers but now with W10 after the fixes applied from the Homegroup not working post fails to re-establish with the correct password and disappears during the setup process. Can someone suggest a proper fix please, it is wasting hours of everybody's time
To be clear, I had the exact same problems with HomeGroup in Windows 8.1, but for some reason, I had the wild idea that it would work in Windows 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here... kind of hilarious when you consider Homegroup was intended to make networking easier.  I have files sharing working using standard windows shares, yet homegroup fails, go figure.  Either way if this was working as intended it should fix the problem instead of dumping useless error messages.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have a problem with a previously established home group, now I have upgraded to MS10. My laptop can see the computer but is asked for a password to join. My issue is I cannot remember the password and have not got it written down. The view password on the PC is greyed out as it is on the laptop. How can I find it? I can see the laptop and the files that are on it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem as well with both 10 and 8.1. What I found worked for me, is that when 8.1 was unable to join the homegroup and it ran the troubleshooter, it ALSO suggested running the troubleshooter on the original machine where the homegroup was created. It was a win 10 PC so ran the TS on that but came up with nothing (no errors detected). BUT when I went back to the other PC (8.1) and tried to join again, it worked! After it worked, all the other machines were able to join as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

After upgrade to Windows 10 I cannot set up my Homegroup. Message continuously asks to enable"IPv6." I've used all of the troubleshooters numerous times without resolution. Homegroup worked fine with Windows 7. How do I fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,842 Last updated: May 8, 2018 Applies to: