SOLVED: Error with USB Tethering on Windows 10 Version 1709

When I try to use my OnePlus 5 with Android 8 installed, my Notebook crashes with a bluescreen (Kernel Security Check Failure).

Seems like the problem is related to a corrupted driver, but I'm actually not able to get any driver details because the system crashes immediately after turning on USB Tethering.

I've got no problems reproducing this error on my Lenovo ThinkPad T460p and my old Lenovo G770 both with Windows 10 Version 1709. The USB Tethering works well when used with e.g. Kali Linux.

I appreciate your help!

Björn

Solution:

1. Disable the "netsetupsvc" service with "sc.exe config netsetupsvc start=disabled"
  2. Reinstall the device by telling devmgmt.msc to "Scan for hardware changes". The device should reappear, but it won't work yet.
  3. Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  4. Expand it and work yourself through the other entries until you found an entry with "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Devive" as DriverDesc
  5. Add three DWORDs named "*IfType", "*MediaType", and "*PhysicalMediaType" set to 6, 0, and E respectively.
  6. Re-enable the netsetupsvc with "sc.exe config netsetupsvc start=demand"
  7. Disable & re-enable the device in devmgmt.msc.

For the registry modifications I've developed a short Powershell script:

$ErrorActionPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'
$path = Get-ChildItem -Path  'HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}' | Get-ItemProperty | Where-Object { $_.DriverDesc -like "*NDIS*" } | Select-Object -ExpandProperty PSPath
New-ItemProperty -Name *IfType -Value 6 -LiteralPath $path -Force
New-ItemProperty -Name *MediaType -Value 0 -LiteralPath $path -Force
New-ItemProperty -Name *PhysicalMediaType -Value 14 -LiteralPath $path -Force

NOTE: The script must be executed with administrator privileges. You still have to do step 1, 2, 6 and 7!

Answer
Answer

I've finally found a solution for my problem.

There is an incompatibility with some NDIS devices and Windows 10 Version 1709. Microsoft is aware of this and is working on a fix.

As a workaround the following steps helped me:

1. Disable the "netsetupsvc" service with "sc.exe config netsetupsvc start=disabled"

2. Uninstall the device from devmgmt.msc.

3. Reinstall the device by telling devmgmt.msc to "Scan for hardware changes"

4. The device should reappear, but it won't work yet.

5. Find the device's registry key, and add three DWORDs named "*IfType", "*MediaType", and "*PhysicalMediaType" set to 6, 0, and 0xe respectively (the registry entry your searching for is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ you'll find a GUID for all network drivers there and an entry for the Remote NDIS driver)

6. Re-enable the netsetupsvc with "sc.exe config netsetupsvc start=demand"

7. Disable & re-enable the device in devmgmt.msc.

I hope, this helps anybody having those issues too.

EDIT: I've edited my first post with the question and added a more detailed description and a little script to make this more easier to do even for normal users

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 24,067 Applies to: