DNS Server is not responding

Sadly this is my 3rd problem with my 1month old Lenovo y540. So, yesterday, I casually surf the internet and then suddenly my wifi was dead (maybe electricity stuff, maintenance or something) and that's usually normal for me & will turned on again in few minutes. The thing is, my laptop can't connect to the internet, at first I thought my wifi's still dead, but then I realized that my phone & other laptop can connect to the wifi & working normally.

I tried the famous flush DNS, changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 stuff and also update/uninstall the network adapter. None of them are working. Then I tried to restart my wifi last night and surprisingly my laptop can connect to the internet again.I thought it's fixed, but this morning, when I tried to connect to the internet, my laptop shows the same diagnostic, DNS server is not responding. Is it really my wifi? Or is there something wrong with my laptop? Cause other devices can use the wifi :(

Oh, some websites recommend me to restart the DNS client services, but all of the button are greyed out, is that normal?

Update: after I reset my network (from network & internet setting), I still can't connect to the internet but it shows new diagnostic, "The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken." But why my other devices can use the wifi then?

Update 2: I tried restarting the wifi again, still the same diagnostic, DNS is not responding

We need more info to help.

1. can you ping yahoo.com?

2. Can you ping 8.8.8.8?

3. Post back the result of ipconfig /all.

Bob Lin, MCSE

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, PiyaPiya! Thanks for reaching out. My name is Princess. I'm an independent advisor and a Windows user like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I would suggest you refer to the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Set the IPv4 to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and then select "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Please refer to the below link for the detailed instructions.

https://www.kapilarya.com/your-computer-appears...

If it does not work, click the Windows Start Menu. Type "DXDIAG" and hit the enter key. Under the System tab, check the "System Manufacturer" and "System model" and please let me know.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
P. Blancaflor

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's still not working to set the ip & dns automatically..

System manufacturer : lenovo

System model : 81sy

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PiyaPiya,

Try these fixes to narrow down the problem. Please refer to the link below for the detailed step by step instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741

If the troubleshooting steps id not work, please download and install the latest and compatible chipset and WLAN Driver from the official manufacturer's download site.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/lap...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes by replying to this thread so that I can assist you further.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
P. Blancaflor

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup, definitely done that before I posted this question.. no luck :(

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PiyaPiya,

Thank you for the detailed reply I would suggest performing a clean boot environment and check if you still encountering the issue.

A clean boot is meant to troubleshoot software conflicts by disabling certain third-party software, services, and drivers during startup. If your problem does not occur while the computer is in a clean boot environment, then you can determine which startup application or service is causing the problem by systematically turning them on or off and restarting the computer. While turning on a single service or startup item and rebooting each time will eventually find the problematic service or application, the most efficient way to do this is to test half of them at a time, thus eliminating half of the items as the potential cause with each reboot of the computer. You can then repeat this process until you've isolated the problem.

Please click the link below for the detailed instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

Please let me know how it goes by replying to this thread so that I can assist you further.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
P. Blancaflor

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the computer is configured correctly, it could be the router issue. Can you ping 192.168.0.1? Or you may want to reset router or access it to take a look the settings. 

I did see  a case before. That Router/Modem blocks the computer. Please refer to this post for more details. 

WiFi: can’t connect to this network

Bob Lin, MCSE

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2023 Views 1,983 Applies to: