dell d630 wifi trouble win 10

I tried win 10 upgrade on my older d630.  Wifi continually got interrupted.  (Same home network which works fine with win 7)  My windows 10 upgrade message says my laptop checks out for upgrade, but when I check for drivers at dell site with win 10 installed, dell says "operating system not supported,"  and offers no driver update option.  I reverted to 7 because the ongoing disconnection was so annoying, but I would try 10 again if I could have wifi problem solved.  Anybody else having the same problem with their antique, and offer a working win 10 solution?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

APPARENTLY SOLVED BY CHANGING POWER MANAGEMENT SETTING.  Here's the deal.  The Win 10 installation with the new network card drivers seemed improved but still completely erratic upon wake up from sleep or restart.  HOWEVER, it appears the real problem all along was a setting in the network card properties (power management) that said it was OK to turn off the network card to save power.  I unchecked that box, and have had multiple restarts and awakening from sleep  without incident.  It might seem stupid and obvious not to be looking at this angle, but who would have guessed the card was acting erratically because it was intermittently turning off to save power.

IMPORTANT UPDATE- NO VIDEO AFTER MS UPDATE:  After having my wifi working as mentioned above, several weeks later I received an update from Microsoft which required turning off my computer.  When I tried to restart I had no video which was a far greater problem than the wifi, since nobody, even Houdini, was not going to effect a repair with no video. Believe me, I tried every possibility to circumvent the problem and there was nothing I could do to get some video to reload drivers etc.  Anyway, I reinstalled 7 with a disk and clean install, and everything has worked perfectly for a few months.  I would say if you have a D630, stick with 7.  Obviously, it was a win 10 video driver conflict, since my d630 has worked perfectly after booting from a disk and reinstalling 7.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having a very hard time with my Dell D630 - no internet wired or wireless.  I am going to try getting the driver from Intel for the wireless.

For the wired I only have one version on my computer 17. whatever and it does not work.

Protopia - can you tell me exactly which driver you are using for Ethernet. Tx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have the laptop to hand at present so I cannot check, but I probably looked at the hardware Ethernet chip and went and found a latest driver for that from whatever site. And if it didn't install without compatibility, I would try installing it with compatibility options set.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a quick observation.  If your computer wont connect to Wi-F because of a bad driver, how does one go about  downloading the correct drivers etal?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here you go, Don.  In the past when I have had driver trouble with no internet connection, I used one of my other computers to locate the drivers, put them on a USB cruiser and installed them from the cruiser to the computer without internet.  BUT HERE'S THE DEAL,  I believe you can get your internet working with the posted suggestions and installation of drivers with usb device, if necessary, BUT if you read my prior posts, Microsoft, unrelated to my wifi driver updates as far as I can tell, updated my windows 10 installation which required a restart.  When I restarted, there was a blacks screen with scrolling horizontal lines or a totally black screen, neither of which would allow any access, safemode included, because the video drivers which had been working just fine got screwed up from the update.  It would look like a video card failure, except I reinstalled windows 7 and have never had a lick of trouble since with many hundreds of hours and many, many restarts.  So unless you want to run this risk of losing everything on your win 10 upgrade installation AND your win 7 (if reverting is still an option), you can end up with a lot bigger problem than no internet - no display.  My d630 video worked just fine on win 10 upgrade for a month or two until it didn't as described.  I have no confidence in a d630 using win 10.  (As usual, when the display failed and I had to reinstall, I had at least a couple of important files that were NOT backed up and had to be recreated.  I don't know where this post belongs, but anyone with a D630 upgrading to Win 10 ought to read it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLVED!  Search the Intel driver site for the "WiFi_Win7_64_15.3.1" driver. ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27048/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-WiMAX-WiFi-Link-5350 )Download it, and begin the install using ADVANCED install. Choose to install ALL options. Its going to ask you to install .Net 3.0   Allow the .Net download and install to complete. Once the WiFi driver finishes, restart the computer and you are set! I haven't had a problem since!
Matt

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2020 Views 2,747 Applies to: