Create webpage shortcut in Microsoft Edge

OK So I just updated to Windows 10 and the new Microsoft Edge browser which is supposed to eventually replace Internet Explorer. It seems to run very well but Edge is missing a feature that I use all day every day.

How in the heck do you create a webpage shortcut in MS Edge. In Internet Explorer you simply right click anywhere on the webpage and a large menu pops up with an option entitled "Create Shortcut" and when clicked a shortcut to the webpage is placed on your desktop. Alternately, you could drag the icon by the webpage address to your desktop. Neither one of these features seem to be available in Microsoft edge.

Please help and note that I'm using the old desktop classic view in Windows 8.1 and 10.

Thank you

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2019 Views 70,394 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I also VERY MUCH like Edge but FREQUENTLY like to place web page shortcuts in folders or on the desktop.  I find myself using Edge (for the newness and because I really do like it) and then when I need to have a shortcut I end up opening Firefox, copying the URL from Edge and entering into Firefox and then saving the shortcut.  Not a very efficient way of doing things and I think eventually I'll afraid I'll be using other browsers most of the time unless there is some other streamlined way to create shortcuts from Edge, .  If I can get used to doing it, reading list will take some of the load but I STILL sometimes want a shortcut ON THE DESKTOP to remind me of something I want or need to do.  Or simply something quick for somethning I do regularly.

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A quicker option than using Firefox would be from Edge click the More Options button (4 dots on the right of the toolbar) and select Open in Internet Explorer, once the site is opened in IE, then you can right click and select Create Shortcut on Desktop. Certainly far from perfect, but also certainly easier than copying the URL and pasting it into Firefox to create the desktop shortcut....

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I know that I can always switch over from Edge to IE and create the shortcut...but why should we have to do that when Edge was supposed to be a better and more efficient browser than IE. My main concern is that from everything I've read on the internet Edge will eventually replace IE altogether. Hopefully MS will address this issue before that happens.

488 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, that's helpful, less complicated and more efficient.

What remains an issue for the longer term is the resulting shortcut opens in IE rather than Edge and that, at least in part, steers me away from using edge for all of my repeat/daily tasks for which I have saved shortcuts.

Hopefully many will agree with the spirit of the original post here which I believe is that we feel the Edge product would be more useful to us, and we would be more inclined to use it for more of our browser needs if this missing piece were addressed in a satisfactory way.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I know that I can always switch over from Edge to IE and create the shortcut...but why should we have to do that when Edge was supposed to be a better and more efficient browser than IE. My main concern is that from everything I've read on the internet Edge will eventually replace IE altogether. Hopefully MS will address this issue before that happens.

I agree with you, I was replying to RayHallman's post to let him know that there is at least an easier way than copying the URL from Edge, opening Firefox, pasting the URL and then creating the shortcut to the desktop. The ability to easily create a shortcut to the desktop is the main reason I have not switched to using Chrome. From what I have seen so far, Edge renders better than Chrome, but the lack of the create a shortcut to desktop feature makes me less inclined to use it over IE. Hopefully Microsoft will rectify this oversight quickly.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with this post!  For now, it's probably easiest to copy the address from the address bar (by clicking or double-clicking on it, then right-click, copy) then right-click on your desktop, or targeted folder, then select "New" > "Shortcut"; then paste the address, "next" and fill in your description.

I'd like to see a drag-icon, or drag the address to the desktop, or a right-click option like in IE.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In IE, from the File menu, I choose, "Send", "Shortcut to the desktop". I agree about MS Edge, though. It absolutely needs a similar function. 

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In IE, from the File menu, I choose, "Send", "Shortcut to the desktop". I agree about MS Edge, though. It absolutely needs a similar function. 

Is there an option in Edge to turn a Menu Bar on and off like there is in IE? I couldn't find one but if there is then maybe there's a "send to desktop" command under File Menu.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there an option in Edge to turn a Menu Bar on and off like there is in IE? I couldn't find one but if there is then maybe there's a "send to desktop" command under File Menu.

Unfortunately, no.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In the upper right corner click on the ... scroll to settings, click on open favorites bar. You still have to open ME, but it will open it in ME not IE which I can't stand. Then click on the star at the top of the page by the open book, create in favorites or favorites bar       

·

Sorry this didn't help.