Attachments very slow to download in Windows 10 Email

When I get a pdf or .docx attachment, any attachment, they are very very slow to download. I almost always just go to my gmail or yahoo email accounts to download the attachments directly, and there it is almost instantaneous.

Why is this and why isn't Microsoft concerned about it? It seems like a big deal to me.

Thank you,

(Email isn't a topic in the dropdown. Why not? So I am using "network and internet" which is kinda not what this is about.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2019 Views 7,412 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are facing issue in downloading attachments on the mail app on your laptop. However, you may try the steps mentioned in the article provided below except troubleshooter. Try to run the troubleshooter from here.

Troubleshoot problems with an app

If issue persists then there might be a chance that the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
  • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
  • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any queries related to Windows, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

These kinds of replies are not helpful for people who are accustomed to iPads and Kindles/

This means very little to me as a practical matter, although I have completed kidney transplants for my patients.

Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. It takes a crazy amount of time to download attachments to e-mails (which is something I need to do a lot) since upgrading to Windows 10. I see the trail from form the Microsoft support engineer seems to have gone cold. I paid good money for windows 8 which was so poor Microsoft had to wheel out a free upgrade which has severely constrained what I can do with my e-mail. No wonder Apple's the biggest company in the world.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same problem, it takes 5 min to download an attachment of 326K.   Directly from g mail it's instantaneously.

I have dell xps, Windows 10, and using Windows mail10

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem. I was able to fix it by uninstalling the Windows 10 mail app and reinstalling it. It is not the easiest thing to do, however, as Microsoft provides no simple option to uninstall its built-in apps. This is the procedure that worked for me:

1. Open PowerShell as administrator. Do this by entering "PowerShell" in the search box. When it finds the PowerShell desktop app right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".

2. You will probably have to change the execution policy from its default setting of "Restricted" to "Unrestricted". To check the setting type in

get-executionpolicy

To change it type in

set-executionpolicy unrestricted

3. Uninstall the mail app by typing in

get-appxpackage *microsoft..windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

4. You can reset the default execution policy with

set-executionpolicy restricted

5. Exit PowerShell . The mail app should be gone.

6. Reinstall the mail app from the Windows store.

This worked for me!

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I did steps 1 to 5 and it worked.

Note: I did not have to reinstall mail as windows mail 10 did not uninstall. But now the mail attachments open instantaneously.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Fred Krambeck's steps 1-5 also worked for me without needing to reinstall the mail app - all attachments now opening quickly, thank god !!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Try deleting the email account (eg yahoo mail) from the Mail app. The add it again. This worked for me and saves having to uninstall and re-install the whole app.

Sorry this didn't help.

This does not solve the problem. Reinstalling the App from the Store does not help. The mail app still use several minutes to download attachments and to update mail folders.

A mail program should be a simple thing to develop for Microsoft - so why dont you just make it work?

Anyone that can recommend a different mailprogam that works?

Windows 10 on a Samsung laptop

Sorry this didn't help.

Try Mailbird.  It's indirectly owned by Google (I believe) and interacts well with Google calendar (for Android users).  Windows Mail also interacted well with Google calendar, which is why I was reluctant to lose it.  But the download issue is a real problem.

Mailbird has a free Lite version, which is OK for me.

I'm curious as to why Microsoft has not solved this?  Surely it's an easy problem.  I have had 3 PCs in our household, of which one upgraded from Win 7, one from Win 8.1 and the third had Win 10 pre-installed.  All have the same download problem.  Could Microsoft please explain the reason they haven't fixed it?

Sorry this didn't help.