1803 broke my network

After I updated to 1803 my homegroup was gone.  I understand this is no longer a feature.  But it wasn't replaced with anything.  So my 2 desktops which used to share everything, including the printer, now share nothing.  They are each connected via ethernet to a common router but each is seemingly on its own ethernet lan and they don't talk to one another.  So now I got nothing.  I went through the "sharing your network printer" windows page and nothing.  My secondary cannot find either the primary computer or the printer.  

I notice the how to share your network printer page is dated from February so maybe it hasn't been updated for 1803.

Little help man.  I had a fully functioning homegroup and now I have 2 computers that refuse to talk at all.

Answer
Answer

Most important part is to start some required services to make your PC's visible in File Explorer network devices.

Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic (Delayed Start). 

Services are:

- Function Discovery Provider Host

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Those settings shouldn't effect to printer. I have old HP 1600 Color LaserJet USB printer and time to time it stop printing when new insider preview is installed. In that case I have to go to Settings / Devices / Printer and remove it. Then I just switch printer back on, windows find it as new device, reinstall it using old drivers and then it work again.

Try to remove printer and reinstall it.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 463 Applies to: