Windows 10 PC can't see other PCs on network

Hi,

I have a slightly weird issue.

I have a small home network consisting of a desktop, a media PC and a work laptop

Laptop is relatively new, (Dell XPS 15, late 2015 version) and runs Windows 10 Pro, Sophos Anti Virus, and is on a work domain. (No recent group policy changes have been made)

Desktop (My main machine, I use it to RDP to my laptop when working) also runs windows 10 pro, and Sophos, and is on my home workgroup

Media PC Runs Vista ultimate, on the homegroup and also runs Sophos.

My issue is that as of late December, my work laptop is no longer visible on my home network, I can't  see it under "network" anymore, and I can no longer RDP to it (I like to work from my  desktop and RDP to it when working from home).  On the Laptop I can no longer see any other devices, including my MFD (Cannon Pixma MG770) which works fine on my Desktop (and should be independent to domain/homegroup settings). File sharing still works between the Vista media PC and Windows 10 Desktop. The laptop is still connected to my wireless network, and had internet access, it can also see my router as a device.

Other details:

• Network profile is set to private on both Windows 10 machines.
  • Network discovery is set to on on both Windows 10 machines.
  • File and Print sharing is set to on on both Windows 10 machines.
  • No recent group policy changes have been made on the domain machine
  • No Known network configuration changes have ben made since it worked.
  • It has previously worked with the domain machine/workgroup mix with no home group configured (unless there is one by default?)
  • My previous work laptop (Dell XPS 15z, Windows 7 pro) worked fine on this configuration for years
  • My Router is a Billion BiPAC 7800NXL, no configuration changes have been made there since this worked.
  • I can't try with wired LAN as the new XPS has no Ethernet port.
  • My gut feeling is it was an update that caused the issue.
  • Other software installed on both machines is VMware Player (only mentioned as it adds another visible network connection)
  • Work laptop also has WatchGuard VPN software, (mainly unused, but it was installed previously when everything was working)
  • I doubt it is anti virus as I run the same version on all my machines, and only one is affected.
  • The problem persists if I disable the firewall on both machines.

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2019 Views 63,511 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

It would be more appropriate to redirect your query to the IT Professionals on TechNet Forums.

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums you can click on the link below to post your query in TechNet forum.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=WinPreview2014&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Please revert us if you need further assistance. We would be happy to help.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just a follow up on this,

In the office today on the domain, and I can confirm that this problem exists here too, - I can't see any other network PCS... so the homegroup/domain thing was a red herring...

I simply can't see other networked pcs..

Sorry this didn't help.

I just reformatted the thing...

On a 100mb fibre connection it doesn't take long to reinstall everything, and I'd already wasted too much time trying to pinpoint this problem.

Interestingly, my first reformat I put it on the domain BEFORE getting all the updates. - the problem re manifested itself.

I then reformatted it again, and only added it to the domain once everything was installed. its now working as it should.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just reformatted the thing...

That's unfortunate.  It's a known problem with a few workarounds.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2131750e-d589-41f0-b6a3-1c7dac2361d9/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10-after-update?forum=win10itpronetworking

However, except for old command line methods of interrogating remote host status, I am having success with Homegroup connectivity.  That would at least solve your problem with the W10 machines and maybe even with the Vista one too.  All you need is to be sure that you have Local IPv6 connectivity. 

BTW in case it helps as a parallel for your Vista case, one of my nodes is a Surface RT 8.2 which can see Homegroup shares but not offer any (by design).  However, the RT can still share conventionally and then those can be seen via the Networks folder using File Explorer.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I realise that I am necroposting here but, as seems to happen surprisingly frequently these days, this looks to be one of those problems that has raised its head again when you would have hoped that it had been fixed once and for all.

As you say, there does appear to be a documented issue with Creators Update. I remember having this problem way back but couldn't find the thread with the info so thanks for the link.

The odd thing is that my all of my PCs had been working fine on Creators Update until yesterday when I installed KB4040724 and every one of them stopped being able to see any computers on the WORKGROUP.

I could still connect by name or IP but they weren't being enumerated in network explorer.

Starting the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and "Function Discovery Provider Host" services on all the PCs resolved the problem (the USB disk plugged into my router isn't enumerated but that may be by design).

Anyone know why the services sometimes start and sometimes don't or why whatever used to trigger a start of those services doesn't trigger it any more?

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

This will most likely remedy your issue as it did for me. If not I wish you all the best.

1) Open "Control Panel"

2) Open "Network and Internet"

3( Open "Network and Sharing Center"

4) Open "Advanced sharing settings"

In your current network "profile" look for "Turn On Automatic Setup Of Network Connected Devices" and REMOVE the check from it.

5) Save the change and disable the network adapter and re-enable it.

Look for the change in File Manager.

This is what worked for me.

37 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This will most likely remedy your issue as it did for me. If not I wish you all the best.

1) Open "Control Panel"

In your current network "profile" look for "Turn On Automatic Setup Of Network Connected Devices" and REMOVE the check from it.

GH_ST, this worked for me. Thank you very much!

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Open "Control Panel"

You just saved me yet another 10 hours of fishing around looking for an answer that Microsoft doesn't feel like answering.  They should hire you and replace about 20 deadbeats who sit around looking for ways to continue the stream of misinformation.

Thank you so much.

Just one more question for your opinion.  Should we go back and recheck the 'turn on...'

after we fix the problem?

Another suggestion for us under-educated would be to expand the fix and explain the steps to disabling and re-enabling the network adapter.  When I read that, I looked like a hog looking at a wrist watch for a couple minutes. 

Thanks again

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Open "Control Panel"

So this is where i started after experiencing the same annoying issue! 

Originally i thought i'd installed a bad driver because i've had this working for as long as i knew my pc did it, but this was not the case. So i tried the above method which did not work for me, but led me to thinking what if its my internet/router settings. 

I have a BT smarthub with both 2.4ghz + 5ghz bands. Now a while back they were combined into one band, but i seperated them to ensure my xbox one (which i stream movies + music to from my desktop) was running on the 5ghz band. However, the moment i merged the 2 bands back together my pc displayed all of my connections on the network, thus allowing me to right click any media file & click "cast to..." and instantly stream to my xbox.

Seeing the basic and all round CRAP responses from microsoft, i hope this knowledge helps everyone who is currently battling this stupid problem.

Peace out microsofters.

Sorry this didn't help.

After hours of web searching and trying multiple different setting options i came across this website

How to Set Up Limited User Accounts in Windows 10

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/limited-user-accounts-windows-10

I followed the 11 steps and created an limited user account in windows 10. Signed into the new account,
then immediately signed back into my account and wallah all my network computers plus my 2 Synology servers reappeared.

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry this didn't help.