Windows 10 file sharing on a network

I set up my network--I can SEE all the computers on my network but when I go to access one of them, it keeps asking for a user and password.  WHICH user and password do I use?  I have tried every user and password that I set up and still can't get into shared files on another pc.  This is probably simple, but I am not seeing it.

Thank you for any help!

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community Forums.

Please follow the methods below:

Method 1: To run the HomeGroup troubleshooter
  1. Open the HomeGroup troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer up, and then clicking Search), entering troubleshooting in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Tap or click Network and Internet, and then tap or click HomeGroup. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

2. Click Next, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't solve the problem, follow Method 2

Method 2:

1. Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Go to Network and sharing center.
  4. Go to Advanced file sharing settings.
  5. Turn off password protected sharing.

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community Forums.

Please follow the methods below:

Method 1: To run the HomeGroup troubleshooter
  1. Open the HomeGroup troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer up, and then clicking Search), entering troubleshooting in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Tap or click Network and Internet, and then tap or click HomeGroup. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

2. Click Next, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't solve the problem, follow Method 2

Method 2:

1. Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Go to Network and sharing center.
  4. Go to Advanced file sharing settings.
  5. Turn off password protected sharing.

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

Thank you, I have done all of that.  The problem is the passwords--I do not want to disable the passwords--some of these computers are financial and not everyone should have access.  But when I try to access one of the work computers it asks for my user name and password--is this the Microsoft edge user and pw?  I have used every user and password that is on this network and am not getting in. 

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe it was in Win XP where you shared files each user had to be set up on each pc in order to share--so in Win 10 do I have to add users to the pc that will be shared?

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is for work--and on a WorkGroup--I have shared the folders on the different PC's--all are Win 10.  I need to have security on the network so that not all users can get into and share all PC's folders.  I have turned off the password protected sharing and it does not work on some of my networked pcs.  I know it must be simple, but I am not getting it to work properly.

Thank you,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Akelliot,

Thank you for replying back with the status of this issue.

1) Does the computers use any set of permissions configured to operate under the workgroup?

2) Are the computers connected under domain network?

Reply us back with the required information. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not seeing any special permissions--all the pc's are in a named workgroup, they are not on a domain.  I did not set this network up originally.  One of the PC's can see 2 other of the 5 pc's and can even access one with the Microsoft email and password, but it shows the other one and comes up with an error of 'no access'.  I have never had this problem on other networks, but most did not have windows 10.  I have gone to the 4 pc's and done a share to everyone with full rights. I have gone to settings and made sure all have checked the network discovery and even turned off the passwords and still not working correctly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally put each of the users on each computer with their security, then gave each person permissions and that finally worked.  This is more like sharing on windows XP.  It is very bulky, but it is working now. 

Thank you for your suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for replying with the status of this issue. In case, if you need any assistance you may always post your questions along with your valuable suggestions in this forum.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2017 Views 420 Applies to: