Windows 10: Ethernet connection repeatedly disconnects and reconnects

Had to buy a new desktop HP.  Immediately had problems connecting via Ethernet.  Checked Ethernet connection with Win7 on laptop, still works fine.  Contacted Geek Squad and HP, no help.  Both want me to take a brand new computer in for repair $$.  AT&T said they need to configure Win10 to my modem (AT&T Uverse Arris NVG589 modem), but I would have to pay them to do this.  Don't think I should have to pay anyone, much less the ISP I pay for monthly service, to fix a connection issue with a brand new computer.  Internet connects via WIFI, but is so slow on a desktop computer.  Anyone have any suggestions before I either throw this computer out the window or go through the hassle of switching my ISP!  HELP!!!!! 

Original Title: Windows 10 Internet Connection Issues

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2019 Views 12,986 Applies to:
Hello Susan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the Inconvenience caused, I will assist you with this issue.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Are you facing slow speed when you connect the Ethernet cable to the desktop computer as well?
2. What is the model of the HP computer?
3. Are you not facing this slow speed issue on the laptop?
4. Do you receive any error message or code?
5. Did you update your drivers?

You may download the latest Network drivers for your desktop PC from the manufacturer’s website and check it helps. (You may download the drivers from the working Windows 7 laptop).

Please be informed that if multiple devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and they are browsing or downloading, the internet speed will decrease.

You may also follow the below methods and check.

Method 1: You may also run the Network troubleshooting, if you are facing issues with connecting to the network.
1. On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
2. Click on “Network and Internet”
3. Click on “Network Adapter” and run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:
Fix network connection issues:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

Why can't I get online?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-why-cant-i-get-connected

Method 3: You may also try reinstalling the drivers and check.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

To answer your questions,

1. The entire problem is that the Ethernet does not work on my desktop computer.

2. HP model 550-a114.

3. There are no issues with internet speed on my laptop and the Ethernet works on my laptop.

4. No error message.  When I plug in the Ethernet cable, it connects for a moment, then disconnects and reconnects over and over.  It never stays connected.

5. I uninstalled both the WIFI and Ethernet drivers.  When I rebooted the computer, it reinstalled them on it's own and I still face the same issue.

I've run every troubleshooting possible with nothing found.

I just don't understand why there could be a problem connecting Ethernet with a new computer.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Susan,

Thanks for the information.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Are you using any third party security program?

2. Are you facing this issue since you started using your new desktop computer?

If you are facing this issue since the first time you started using the system, this problem might be related to hardware as well. However let’s try the troubleshooting steps to eliminate any software issue.

After uninstalling the network drivers don’t restart the system as it installs the default drivers, you may install the drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check.

If the issue still persists, if you have installed any third party security software, I suggest you to temporarily disable them and check.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks. 

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Susan.  I am having the exact same issue that you stated here.  Did you ever find a solution for it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Someone suggested I try a USB to ethernet adapter.  If the enthernet worked that way, then it would confirm that the onboard NIC was bad and the replacement would be covered under warranty.  HP agreed and sent me a box to ship my computer to be repaired.  However, I was uncomfortable sending my computer off, so I've just kept using the adapter.  I've had it for months and not one connection issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My Ethernet connecting/disconnecting all the time drove me insane. I use windows 10/home.

This is how I eventually solved it:

• Right click the Start icon.
  • Select Device Manager.
  • Select Network adapters.
  • Right click on  your Ethernet controller (Mine is Realtek PCle FE Family controller)
  • Right click on Properties
  • Click on Advanced
  • Under Property click on Speed & Duplex
  • Under Value you will probably find Auto Negotiation, replace it with 100 Mbps Half Duplex
  • Click OK
  • Close Device Manager

That did it for me.

167 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

ChristianRC,

I had to exchange my cable modem because the wifi was having connections issues. They gave me a different modem than I had and said it was the newest modem they are using now(even though I had only had my service installed 1 month earlier). The new modem would not work connected via the ethernet cable with my windows 10 laptop just constantly disconnect and reconnect. I called my ISP and they wanted to send a technician out which would likely result in me having to pay money or exchange the modem again. I went back to their store and exchanged it again only to come back home to the same problem. I reinstalled the NIC drivers and even reformatted and reinstalled windows. After the windows install it worked for about 15 minuted then right back to the same problem! I hooked the cable to my other laptop which has windows 7 and it works just fine. I found an article that said to turn off the power option that allows the computer to turn off the NIC during low power. That didn't help either. I was about ready to get rid of the computer when I found this article. This was such a simple fix and I thank you so much for posting this.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.