Windows 10: Enter Network Credentials Username and Password for a computer that already has "no password required sharing is enabled"

I've been fighting with this problem for about a week now off and on, and I haven't been able to find any workable solution until today. I thought I'd share with the topic of the search I was most using to maybe help other people who run up against it.

Situation:

• I just built a new PC, (VadersFist) and have my old PC (VoodooChild) set up as a Backup Storage/HTPC.
  • VoodooChild had previously been my main PC, and I did not do a fresh install of Windows. My bad.
  • I have used my microsoft account on both PCs, even though I had disabled it on VoodooChild when I built VadersFist.
  • As soon as I deleted the Microsoft account from VoodooChild I could no longer access files there. I had password protected sharing disabled, as well as every other regular thing to check. (Both were networked, all were visible, both were turned on and off again multiple times)
  • My flatmate, who obviously has never shared a microsoft account with me could still view files on VoodooChild with no problems whatsoever.
  • When I did try to access the new PC (VoodooChild), I would get a request to "Enter Network Credentials" Asking for my username, my password, and listing my domain as VadersFist (which is my new PC).

The Solution:

• Confirm that Password Enabled Sharing is set to off.
  • Turn your computer on and off again.
  • When prompted to put in your network credentials... use the microsoft account credentials that is shared between both PCs. REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE ACTIVE.
  • Hopefully, profit.

I hope this helps someone in the future so they can avoid the frustration I have faced over the past few days.

Cheers.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is what worked for me:  Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced Sharing Setting > Change sharing options for different network profiles.  Then: under HomeGroup Connections  select the first option "Allow windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)."  You will then be instructed to sign out.   When you sign back in you should be able to work on network devices without a request for credentials. 

191 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

With respect to what I wrote in my previous reply, here's a more complete solution:

Here's what worked for me.  It involved 2 changes and the first did not work without the second.  Here's the sequence:  Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced Sharing Setting > Change sharing options for different network profiles.  First:  select all networks.  Under password selected sharing, select the second option "Turn off password protected sharing."  To make that stick, you will have to sign out and sign back in.  Second: Follow the same sequence as above and when you get to "Change Sharing Options . . . " select "Private (current profile)."  Under HomeGroup Connections  select the first option "Allow windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)."  You will then be instructed to sign out.   When you sign back in you should be able to work on network devices without a request for credentials. 

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope you fixed this problem. I have same problem and I found out it is related to OneDrive. If you click ^ on the bottom right hand corner, find "yellow !", then you will see "Credentials problem".  Right click it.  then I forgot exactly how I did it, either you try to open your one drive online or try to sync your one drive. It will then ask you to open the OneDrive app, just follow the instruction. and it fix my problem.  Sorry I couldn't be more specific. I didn't expect the problem is fixed.  Hope this help others.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem.  Old PC is Dell Lap with Windows 7.  New PC MS Surface with Windows 10.  W7 is not allowed access to W10.

Popup asks for user and password.  No combination of user and pass on W10 work.  Eureka! It wants the user and pass from W7.  Not intuitive! 

Problem is still present.  Now get "Network Error" "do not have permission...".

I setup a new account on W7 with the same user and pass as W10.  Tried it all again.  Still get same "Network Error"...

I tried accessing through "User Groups" and "File Explorer". I get the same results.

Notes:

W10 resets User Group sharing to "Not Shared" every time it is rebooted.

Advance sharing, "All Networks" is set to "Turn off password protected sharing".

54 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"W10 resets User Group sharing to "Not Shared" every time it is rebooted." is not entirely correct.  W10 resets "Not Shared" every time you access "Advance sharing" whether or not you change anything.

Knowing this solves the problem.

First, set Advance sharing.

Second, set User Group Sharing.

Third, don't touch Advance sharing again!

Regards,

Paul Bristol

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Of course there is still the problem of accessing files on another network computer with password protection active. 

My previous posts apply when "Turn off password protected sharing" is set in Advance sharing.  With W10 set to use password protection, no user, password combination on W7 works.  Not W10 passwords nor W7 passwords.

On the other hand, W10 does get access to the W7.  I use the W10 user pass and get access to everything shared on W7.  Not intuitive, and the sharing computer is not protected by entering the inquiring computer's password.  It may be protected by the User Group password, but that is visible on multiple computers and may have been printed out or copied down many times.

I do not understand what user pass is required or where it is verified or how to set it when password protected sharing is set to "on".

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All,

My problem was a little different in that I have a laptop (64bit) and desktop (32bit) on the same network, each running Windows 10 (Creators edition) and each with exactly the same username/passwords.

From the desktop I was able to connect to the D:drive on laptop using the following in Windows Explorer \\mylaptop\D$  However, I was not able to do the reverse i.e From the Laptop to the Desktop.

After following all of the suggestions above, I was still getting the "Enter Network Credentials" dialog box, which would never allow me to gain access to the Desktop 'administrative shares'.  I checked all kinds of Security settings and Permissions, but to no avail.

A search in Google located the following blog which although for Win 7 or Vista, happened to be the solution to my problem.  In my case the Registry key on the Desktop was missing.  Creating it as per the following link fixed the issue.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-mapping-to-hostnamec-share-on-windows-vista/

Many thanks to Lowell Heddings at "How-To-Geek"

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  All accounts are set to not use passwords.  I keep fixing this problem and it keeps coming back.  It is back again and on 5 household computers the damned dreaded "credentials" box is back again not letting me share.  All accounts are set correctly.  So many people have had this problem and it is another Microsoft bungle.  Frustrating beyond description.
Reverend Rod

62 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft was totally screwed up Windows 10 networking since Update 1703 and can't seem to get it fixed.  I've battled this for month.  Once I get it working, after another monthly update everything is broken again.
God bless,
Sig

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 3 existing Windows 10 PCs. All signing in with the same Microsoft account (user name is hotmail email address). All PCs has following in Advanced sharing settings:

• HomeGroup connections

• Use user accounts and password to connect to other computers

• Password protected sharing

• Turn on password protected sharing

Shared folder on these computers with permission set to Everyone. All of them can access each other just fine.

Bought a new Windows 10 PC, set up with the same MIcrosoft account.

Then I added a shared folder on the new PC. Any one of the existing PC can access this new PC’s shared folder, but problem is that the new PC cannot access shared folder on any one of the old PC. Windows keeps showing “Enter network credentials” and “the username or password is incorrect” dialog box.

Researched on Internet and played with different setting, none of them helps.

Then I tried the following and it worked:

• Change all PCs to “Sign in with a local account” and use the same username/password. After that the new PC can access old PC”s shared folder.

• Now change all PCs back to “Sign in with Microsoft account”. Interestingly, now the new PC can access shared folder on other PCs.

So it looks like new PC has to share with other PCs with *local account* first before sharing with Microsoft account is allowed.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 196,455 Applies to: