Student WiFi Log In

Hi

I've been having trouble the last few days with the shared WiFi in the student accommodation I'm currently residing in. 

It's a public, open connection which then requires you to sign in on the browser with a username and password as per the screenshot below. This has previously worked just fine and is working on other, non-Windows devices such as my iPhone and PS4. In addition to this, I believe this problem has reared its head ever since I agreed to let some kind of Windows 10 system alert change my security settings for an impending update or something and I'm unsure what to do. Every time I attempt to sign in it instantly gives me the 'Authentification failed' box. I've even tried my girlfriend's login so I'm almost sure it's an issue with the laptop itself or the security settings.

I've also tried to system restore to get around the problem but that has also failed twice.

I hope someone is able to help and thanks in advance.

Hi Sean,

The authentication failed error that you encounter when connecting to a local WiFi can be related to a change on the device firmware caused by the recent update. As an initial step to fix your concern, we suggest that you reset the connection by following these steps:

1. Click the Start menu .
  2. Select settings .
  3. Select Network & Internet.
  4. Click on WiFi and select Manage known networks.
  5. Under the list of networks, select the affected WiFi connection.
  6. Select Forget.

Once you're done, reconnect to the WiFi and check if the issue persist.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

thanks for your response

I had already tried this to no avail.

Furthermore, my laptop has since had to be completely redone and had the Hard Drive changed and this error still persists but only on the laptop and not other devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate the information that you've provided. We'll need to dig deeper for us to identify if the error that you encountered when connecting to a WiFi is caused by hardware or software issue. To do this, we suggest that you connect your device to a different WiFi network and check if it can establish a connection.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2018 Views 140 Applies to: