Networking username & password in Windows 10

I just updated one of my laptops to Windows 10. Now it will not connect to my Windows 7 Pro desktop. Well, it will connect to it via Media player, but it will not connect to files. When I try to connect to the Win 7 computer any other way it pops up a username and password box. When I enter my username and password and press enter it says that the username or password are not correct. I have tried rebooting both computers to no avail. The Win 7 machine shows up in the my network section but it will not connect. When my laptop was Windows 7 Home before I upgraded last night, it connected just fine to all of the other computers on my network. Am I missing a setting change or firewall setting that needs to be changed or added to make it work? Please help. Thank you in advance!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Are you on domain network?

• Have you made any changes to the firewall settings prior to this issue?

Let us run Network Troubleshooter and check, if this helps.       

1. In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’, and then click ‘Troubleshooting’.       

2. Under ‘Network and Internet’, click ‘Internet Connections’.

3. Follow the on screen instructions.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.           

Thanks & regards,

Abdul Malik

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay,

I ran the troubleshooter. However, I am not having trouble with internet connections. I am having trouble with shared files. I ran the shared files troubleshooter and the result is: "You don't have permissions to access the share." Prior to Win 10, all we had to do was have the same username/password on all of the computers in order to share files. What is different now? And how can I fix it?

Thank you!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The network password problem has occurred on two systems I have worked on , each after one computer is upgraded to Windows 10.

It took me some while to find out how to stop the network password request.

Windows 10 has an additional network sharing setting not seen in Windows 7.

Find your way to Advanced Network Sharing Settings starting in the Control Panel. When the window opens scroll down to the bottom and locate All Networks, click on the down arrow to the right and then scroll down and select the radio button next to Turn off Password Protected Sharing, click on Save Changes and your done.

David S Chambers

103 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply Davmax1589. I tried your idea and it doesn't work. The first time I tried to connect to the Win 7's files after rebooting them with your suggestion, it did connect to the Win 7 network connection. It actually showed the shared files. When I clicked on one of the shared files it brought up the password pop up box again and I could not progress. I then closed the File Explorer window and started a new one, and it was back to the username/password box just from clicking onto the computer from network connections again just like before the change. I have no problem connecting to the files on the computer that was updated to Win 10, but to go the other direction it did not work. I tried a suggestion on another thread and it worked. I just had to rename my the other computer. I just added an "a" to the computer's name and now they connect both directions just fine. The only thing I can figure is that it may have not been a problem if the computer running Win 7 had been shut off during the upgrade. For some reason the Win 10 machine will not connect to any computers that were up and running during the upgrade. The other computers can share the Win 10 machine's files, but the Win 10 machine keeps asking for the username and password for the other computers in an endless loop of "incorrect username or password" pop ups. It is very frustrating, but now I am back in business. Take care. Matt

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The network password problem has occurred on two systems I have worked on , each after one computer is upgraded to Windows 10.

It took me some while to find out how to stop the network password request.

Windows 10 has an additional network sharing setting not seen in Windows 7.

Find your way to Advanced Network Sharing Settings starting in the Control Panel. When the window opens scroll down to the bottom and locate All Networks, click on the down arrow to the right and then scroll down and select the radio button next to Turn off Password Protected Sharing, click on Save Changes and your done.

what if we have to keep username and password?? and where do we enter that username and password

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I removed the password requirement on my pc & laptop--both are Windows 10.  On my pc, I am able to access my laptop files, but on my laptop (which has been upgraded from 8.1 to W10), under the network name of the pc is a folder called Users & under that are 2 folders:  Default migrated and Public.  My pc docs are not in either of these folders.  Now what?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there anyway I can speak to technical support person instead of a virtual one.  it's frustrating trying to put your problem through.

I have completely forgotten my Microsoft acct including username and password.

How do I recover these??

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

or

when asked enter the username and password of a user on the win 7 machine that has authority to access the folder.

tick the 'remember my credentials' box and you want see the request again.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can recover the password if you start the lost password process and IF you know your account name and you made sure that your account details include a phone number (preferred mobile for receive a code by text) and or an alternate email address, both can be used to verify that you are legit by receiving a code that you then enter to verify you. If you do not know your user/account name create another account and make sure to include all the required details in the account and record the user name for future reference.
David S Chambers

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried removing the credentials in Credential Manager on both machines and trying again?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2024 Views 64,755 Applies to: