Question

Q: Limited WiFi Connectivity on Ralink RT3290 Driver on Windows 10 Pro

I've tried restoring to factory settings and system image restore, resetting, troubleshooting, uninstalling & reinstalling the driver on my Windows 10 Pro PC (HP Pavilion 14-N213TX) and I've also consulted the manufacturer through their HP Support Assistant but they said I have to contact the service center. How can I fix my still LIMITED WiFi connectivity being experienced through my Ralink RT3290 Wireless Adapter? It was still working when I was on Windows 8.1 the time I received the PC 'til I became a Windows Insider, then I received Windows 10 Pro build 10240 through Windows Update. When I restore it to factory settings, the problem still persists so I revert back to Windows 10 Pro through the ISO and restoring my backup through System Image Recovery. Is there any other solution/s other than bringing my PC to a service center? Any answers or replies will be much appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi James,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

Limited Connectivity error means the computer has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address.

I would suggest you the below methods, check if that helps:

Method 1:

Perform Network adapter troubleshooter.

1. Open Control panel.
  2. Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.
  3. Click View all on left panel.
  4. Click Network Adapter, new window will popup.
  5. Follow the on screen instructions.

Reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-network-adapter-problems#1TC=windows-8

If the issue still persists, proceed to Method 2.

Method 2:

Change DNS settings.

1. Open Control Panel .
  2. Click Network and Internet.
  3. Open Network and Sharing Center.
  4. Click Change Adapter Settings.
  5. Click the connection you want to configure.
  6. Click change the settings of this connection.
  7. Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
  8. Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
  9. Click Use the following DNS server address.
  10. Fill in the DNS server info for your ISP.
  11. Click OK and close all windows.

Method 3:

I would like you to go through the links to find out the cause behind the issue.

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab2&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

How do I fix network adapter problems?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/fix-network-adapter-problems

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Problem still persists.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried restoring to factory settings and system image restore, resetting, troubleshooting, uninstalling & reinstalling the driver on my Windows 10 Pro PC (HP Pavilion 14-N213TX) and I've also consulted the manufacturer through their HP Support Assistant but they said I have to contact the service center. How can I fix my still LIMITED WiFi connectivity being experienced through my Ralink RT3290 Wireless Adapter? It was still working when I was on Windows 8.1 the time I received the PC 'til I became a Windows Insider, then I received Windows 10 Pro build 10240 through Windows Update. When I restore it to factory settings, the problem still persists so I revert back to Windows 10 Pro through the ISO and restoring my backup through System Image Recovery. Is there any other solution/s other than bringing my PC to a service center? Any answers or replies will be much appreciated.

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 on a HP Pavillion 11 x360PC with Ralink RT3290 adapter. My machine was failing/slow to connect on local wifi whereas my wife's HP Pavillion G6 was connecting without problems. Her machine uses a Realtek adapter.

I came across a solution at the following link  :-

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Ralink-RT-3290-802-11-bgn-wi-fi-driver-for-Windows-10/td-p/5190740

Re: Ralink RT-3290 802.11 bgn wi-fi driver for Windows 10

See Phatom456 at  08-16-2015 09:18 PM

My post is at 10-02-2015 05:39 PM. Note I downloaded the adapter before doing any un-installs.

Good luck .. it has worked for at least two people :-) :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

57 people were helped by this reply

I have the same problem on windows 10 home with ralink rt3290 adapter. I have tried all kind of "solutions" including the one noted above. After 2 or 3 times recover from stand-by or hybernate the limited connection returns. Repair does resolve IP-issues, but the speed remains slow. The only thing that helps is to reboot.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have upgraded to windows 10, with a ralink 3290, and how the wifi can't see my router, though other devices can, though it can see my neighbours router.

Nothing I've tried has worked. removing VPN (not the one that others seemed problematic). reinstalling drivers. rolling back drivers. reboot numerous times.
running all windows updates. updaing driver.
There is a later version of the driver from mediatek, but their certificate has been revoked so can't install that, even though some said it worked (probably at a date before the revoking)

Sorry this didn't help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Ralink-RT-3290-802-11-bgn-wi-fi-driver-for-Windows-10/td-p/5190740/page/2

Hi, I am running Windows 10586.35 Ver 1511.   The Windows PC is HP Pavillion 11-n083sa  x360 PC (Celeron 2837)

As stated I followed phantom456's post with the exceptions noted before.

My RALINK 3290 driver is shown as 5.00.57.00. dated 18-05-2015 from MediaTek

I get download speeds in excess of 100kbps on a regular basis. Occasionally I see over 500kbps.

For those having grief in:-
Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters  >RALINK3290

UNTICK Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Generic USB Hub

UNTICK Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

I found the above on another web site and now don't have the link to pass on the credit.

I can only say this has improved my connectivity in that I do NOT loose connection. The PC can now keep connected overnight.

By the way RALINK 3290 and HP have been giving grief for most versions of Windows,  at least since 7 and onwards. Perhap it is because of the "power saving feature" :-) :-)

Do HP and RALINK talk to each other?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hello. Can you help me with my computer?? Is a HP pavilion 360. I saw that you had the same problem.. My computer can’t connect at wifi when it’s far from the modem.. Which was your solution??
I’m from Mexico

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. Can you help me with my computer?? Is a HP pavilion 360. I saw that you had the same problem.. My computer can’t connect at wifi when it’s far from the modem.. Which was your solution??
I’m from Mexico
the link is not active

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem with Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter for almost 2 years. I finally stumbled upon a solution. The following steps fixed the problem for me.

Control Panel... Network and Internet... Network Connections... Wireless Network Connection Status... Properties... Configure... Advanced... Roaming Sensitivity... change to "Highest".

Hope this helps someone else.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

I didn't find "Highest" helped, but "High" seemed to a bit (no logic here). It was previously set to the default of "medium". BTW, in my control panel (latest version of W10) the path is:

Network and sharing Center/Change Adapter Settings/Right-Click on Wi-Fi Ralink RT3290/Properties/Configure/Advanced/Roaming Sensitivity

I still don't understand why these adapter manufacturers don't just issue an update that works with Windows. Or why companies like HP do business with companies that don't do updates. Most customers are going to take out their frustration on HP otherwise. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 27,898 Last updated: May 25, 2018 Applies to: