How to manually update Bluetooth Drivers using Device Manager

I have upgraded my laptop from Win7 to Win10 and the very first thing I had to do was to update 10 years old Win7 Wirelles 1702 802.11b/g/n driver to current Windows 8 version (because at this time there is no Win10 driver available). When I have executed Dell Wireless Win8 1702 802.11b,g,n Bluetooth 3.0 + HS Driver combo package the system has stopped instalation, because OS checker has detected that I am not running Win8.

So I had to install Wireless driver manually by pointing to the Wireless driver folder from computer Device Manager. This update went OK, but I don't know how to update Bluetooth drivers, because there are two entries in device manager

1.) Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

2.) Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

both driven with the same Bluetooth driver.

There is also Qualcomm Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth 3.0 entry, which is driven with a different driver of a younger date. This one should be fine.

Extracted folders out of Dell Wireless Win8 1702 802.11b,g,n Bluetooth 3.0 + HS combo package are looking like this.

There is only one extracted Bluetooth-Driver folder which is probably containing drivers for both first mentioned Bluetooth entries.

Can somebody, please, advice me, how to update these two Device Manager Bluetooth entries by having only one extracted 38HYW Bluetooth-Driver folder?

Do I first update Device No.1 and then No.2, or maybe by updating the first one the second one will be automatically updated by the same driver? As already mentioned, automatic Bluetooth driver update does not work and I must install drivers manually.

Thank you!

Hello,

Thank for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You have to update both the drivers in device manager.

If issue still persists try to download the latest Bluetooth drivers from the manufacture website for windows 10. If latest drivers are not available then try to install the Bluetooth drivers incompatibility mode.

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Run Windows Update and download the latest driver:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your assistance. I have tried to install drivers in "Compatibility Mode", as you are suggesting, but I always get the same message.

I have tried installing drivers using automatic installer in Win8 & Win7 compatibility mode and Win10 normal mode, as you are suggesting, but with no luck. Always the same massage. I must update Bluetooth drivers manually. I know that everything I need is in "Bluetooth-Driver" folder.

If I understand you right, you are saying, that I should first navigate "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)" to "Bluetooth-Driver" folder and when this update is done, next I should also navigate "Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)" to the same folder? Please confirm, that I understand this right. Is this the right way to go?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2020 Views 3,779 Applies to: