Homegroup Password?

How do you find the homegroup password?  I tried on all computers after upgrade and they all ask for password, it was working fine till upgrade and now it is stuck on stupid.  When I click on view password in homegroup settings it asks for the password.  Vicious circle.     

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

Did you create this HomeGroup? If yes, you can go to Control panel and then click on the "Home group". In the bottom of the Window, look for an option " Other HomeGroup options" and click on the option "view or print the HomeGroup password".  Try to reset the password and let us know the results.

For reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Where-can-I-find-my-homegroup-password

The notes in this article holds good for Windows 10.

I hope this post is helpful. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did that.  All I get is the window that says share with other home computers, click join now button then goes to options and asks for a password, how can you view or reset the password if it wants the password first?  Does this on all computers.  All three options under homegroup, choose homegroup, change password and share printers go to the same window.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is what comes up after clicking change password, on all computers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem with the elusive Homegroup password, and thank God my husband still has Windows 7 on his computer.  It turned out that the password I needed was on HIS computer.  We have no idea how it got there, as neither one of us remembers ever placing a password there. 

As others have said, go to Control Panel and type in Homegroup in the search.  Then choose Homegroup and a box will appear that lets you view and print out the password.  This was in my husband's computer, running Windows 7.  I then typed in his password on MY computer and was able to join the HomeGroup.

One other thing I did to get around the password, was to go to a file I wanted to share and right click on it.  Then choose "share with", then choose "specific people."  It gave me 2 options, and I chose HomeGroup.  My husband was then able to see that folder on his computer.  That's when he went searching for the password on his computer and found it. 

I hope that helps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This option does not exist in Windows 10 as per November 2015.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This option does not exist in Windows 10 as per November 2015.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2022 Views 409 Applies to: