dell d630 wifi trouble win 10

I tried win 10 upgrade on my older d630.  Wifi continually got interrupted.  (Same home network which works fine with win 7)  My windows 10 upgrade message says my laptop checks out for upgrade, but when I check for drivers at dell site with win 10 installed, dell says "operating system not supported,"  and offers no driver update option.  I reverted to 7 because the ongoing disconnection was so annoying, but I would try 10 again if I could have wifi problem solved.  Anybody else having the same problem with their antique, and offer a working win 10 solution?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would suggest you to download the latest network driver from the manufacturer's support website and install it in compatibility mode for previous version of Windows.

a. Right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.

b. Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.

c. Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.

d. Try installing the driver and check.

You may refer to: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows (information holds good for Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for you suggestion, but I need clarification.  Are you suggesting after installing Windows 10, I download dell windows 7 64 bit lan drivers (The latest drivers offered by dell for a d630) and try installing them in compat mode?  Or are you suggesting the latest dell lan drivers for all lap tops which are for windows 8.1, but I would have to say I have a different model laptop, just to make the dell 8.1 drivers available for download?  I see a compatibility option for applications, but I don't see it with drivers.  I don't want to just "try" what your suggesting, because it necessitates reinstalling win 10 just to have a look.  dick cee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dick,

Thank you for replying.

I would like to inform you that the latest drivers are released form manufacturer end and if they release it for Windows 10, it should come either through Windows Updates or through downloading from their site if they make it available. When you face issue with drivers or unable to get the drivers for a particular Operating System e.g. Windows 10, then as a workaround we encourage our customers to download the drivers for a different version of Windows e.g. Windows 8.1 and install that in compatibility mode till the appropriate driver gets released.

Hope the information was useful. Let us know for further assistance and we'll be glad to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Use Device Manager to find out what the wifi network card is, then look for Win 10 drivers for that particular card. (You don't need to rely on Dell for this.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you suggesting I rt click on my network card as listed in the device manager under hardware and then choose update driver, search the internet........?  That just says that the best driver is installed, which is if I remember right is dated 2009.   I tried this procedure when I installed win 10 to no avail, and left the undesirable result that is the reason for my original post.  It would appear the network card in my old d630 will do the job just fine for win 7, but something falls apart trying to use the card with win 10 causing the ongoing interruptions of the connection.  If it is win 10 programming and not related to the network card, I still want to stick with win 7 that works without problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No - that will simply check whether Microsoft has an updated driver.

I am suggesting that you look in device manager for the name of the device and then try to find a more up  to date driver from the manufacturer of the component (rather than the complete PC e.g. Conexant rather than Dell).

That said, I am trying this myself with a Win10 update to my own Dell D630 and finding that modern drivers just don't exist. And consequently my battery life is pants.

But, what you are looking for are drivers that are more modern than those provided by Microsoft - they don;t necessarily need to be Win10 specific drivers - Win 8 or even Win7 or even Vista drivers could be better than those that Microsoft has.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to get alternate drivers from the network card manufacturer's site, and it's no dice.  If anybody has found a way to get updated drivers for Intel 4965AGN, I'm all ears.  The Intel site is really unfriendly.  It looks like updated drivers should be available, but choosing the download option only brings you to an alternate parallel page with no way to actually download.  I don't know how they can make drivers if they can't produce a working web page.  I can see why they aren't too interested in putting energy into such an old device, but please don't tease me making it look like newer drivers are available.  Windows 7 works just fine on the d630 antique, so a reinstall of win 10 is not likely.  I'm still interested, however, for someone to tell me specifically their driver solution to win 10 on a d630 with the intel 4965agn card. As I stated in my original post, win 10 loads and connects, but the connection is unstable.  Otherwise, this is my "final answer"...............................no help so far.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. You can download the drivers for Windows 7 from the Intel site, and set compatibility for Win 7 on thee executable before you run it.

2. Download the same drivers, extract all the files, then use Device Manager, Update Drivers, and allow windows to search the extract directory for the correct INF file to install the drivers.

I have made my D630 work fully - including Intel Turbo Memory, Wireless, Touchpad etc. using this approach. :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot.  Sounds like hope.  Just to be sure we're on the same page, you're saying I have to again upgrade to windows 10 (since I reverted to win 7 because of said wifi trouble).  After I reinstall win 10 with the leap of faith that I can get it right this time with your instructions,  I follow your procedure and I will be good to go.  I know I can't install the driver upgrade to my existing win 7 installation and get a jump start before the win 10 install.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oooops.  Sorry, Protopia.  I didn't follow your instructions correctly!!!  I made the driver upgrade while still using win 7, no need to do it from win 10 as I was asking.  I'm reinstalling win 10 at the moment, and I will upgrade this post as soon as I have confirmed good networking response.  My search at intel did not reveal your link.  I downloaded just fine from there your link.  Thanks again.  Update follows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2020 Views 2,769 Applies to: