Constant Wi-fi problems

I have a new desktop purchased less than a month ago and I am experiencing constant problems with my wi-fi.  My ISP is utter ****, but these problems are unique to my PC as when they occur my other devices such as my iPad 2 and Android phone remain connected.  I am using a Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter and I experience the following problems:

Limited-My network appears in the list of available networks but it shows as "Limited" and there is a yellow sign with an !

Non-existence-My network randomly disappears.

Connected, but not really-My network appears in the list of available networks as "Connected" but mousing over the network symbol shows it as disconnected.

The problems typically happen after I have let the machine sleep for an extended period.  I have tried the following fixes:

Restarting-never works

Unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box-seems to have literally no effect.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the device-sometimes "works"

Updating the driver-Windows says I have the most up to date driver software.  Attempts to search for a newer version and install it manually have failed me, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't to seem to find anything even from the manufacturer's website.

Using the troubleshooter-Occasionally works.  Most commonly once this runs I get a message that the device does not have a valid ip.  There is also sometimes another error that escapes me at the moment.  Most of the time the troubleshooter just gets hung up and never resolves.  Sometimes it ask me to automatically get a new ip (why this doesn't happen "automatically" I have no idea).  Sometimes this resolves the issue, though not so much lately.

And last but hardly least, I have disabled all other adapters and restarted my machine, many times-this is the most "effective" "fix" I have found.  In particular something called the ISATAP Adapter seems to really hate my wifi, but this pos constantly reenables itself.

Needless to say this is incredibly frustrating.  Please help.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 30,772 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

The issue you are facing could be due to the Wi-Fi driver is outdated. Let’s try simple steps and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps.

Step 1: I would recommend you to run network troubleshooter and let us know the status.

1.      Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

2.      Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

3.      Click on View all on the left navigation pane. 

4.      Click on Network troubleshooter

5.      Click on Advanced on the Network troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

6.      Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Network troubleshooter  

If the issue still persist try the below information provided.

Step 2: I would suggest you to update Wi-Fi driver and check if it helps.

1.      Press Windows key + X and select Device manager.

2.      Now click on Network adaptor and right click on it and Wi-Fi driver and update the driver. 

Also refer to the below link on Wired and wireless network problems 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab2&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.             

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As I wrote in my initial post I have done those things, repeatedly.  At best troubleshooting works sometimes, but the problem just reoccurs and I cannot update the driver beyond what is already installed, at least not the way you described.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Using the troubleshooter-Occasionally works.

So now you need to use it for its diagnostic value.  Tip:  you can at least get rid of its doublebyte presentation by using NetMon.   However, another method is to use SysInternals strings.exe program.

Alternatively compare how using static addresses and hints (such as expected Default Gateway address) change your symptoms.  FWIW I got some relief from the latter, e.g. smoother startup and recovery but it meant usually seeing two identical DG addresses in Properties or ipconfig.  Also, if your machine is used on a lot of different networks you may have to remember that you have applied such overrides and take them off when they are no longer applicable.

something called the ISATAP Adapter seems to really hate my wifi

That is really telling you that your local IPv6 support is a problem area.   In my case that was because my (ISP's locked down) modem has no IPv6 support, including its built-in router.   I don't know what W10 has done to break this but ISATAP is supposed to be the workaround.  What I have done is turned off my modem's DHCP and let my Dlink do all the local routing (which thankfully is possible).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply Robert.  Unfortunately I'm afraid you are assuming a level of knowledge I do not possess.  I am unfamiliar with Netmon and SysIntegrals (utilities?).  And I have tried setting a static IP but to no avail.

The problem persists and if anything it is worse.  None of the "fixes" I have tried even work anymore.  Everything about these issues seems completely random.  Right now for example it is "working," but unbearably slowly.  (And as I was typing this it crapped out and came back).  In particular my network disappearing is happening all the time now.  My neighbors networks show up, but not mine for whatever bizarre reason.  And again, other devices in the house are connected to the network, including a work laptop running Windows 7.  

One thing I have noticed is that in the Network and Sharing Center there appears to be 2 versions of my active network connected at the same time.  One is "my network name" and the other is "Unidentified Network" however they are both the same network?

Also, I just want to dsiable the damn ISATAP if it is causing an issue, but it refuses to stay disabled and if I uninstall it, it reinstalls itself.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there!

I have the same adapter and I FINALLY FIXED MY PROBLEM!!! 

My internet was crawling when using wireless, even though my internet just clocked in at 55 Mbps... my computer was downloading at about 1.9Mbps and upload was even less. The problem was the devices I had connected that were utilizing 2.4Ghz radio. Most routers also have 5Ghz radio options available, but it gets widely unused. To fix this, login to your router's page (usually something like 192.168.0.1) and find a way to access your 5 Ghz radio instead of the standard 2.4 that everyone around you is probably doing. This changed my download from 1.0Mbps to about 40-ishMbps. 

I really hope this works for you. Like I said I have the same adapter and was experiencing the same issue until I adjusted the frequency my wifi was logging in to. The 5ghz band actually had a separate login to access it that was different than the one I setup, so you might have a similar issue. 

Good luck!

Kenny

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This solved it for me: disable QoS in the adapter.

225 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks Corey. Worked for me a treat. My Realtek USB WiFi 11ac wouldn't reconnect on waking from sleep.  I tried all the other tricks listed elsewhere (update driver, turn-off device power management, disable usb selective suspend) but to no avail. Changing the device QoS setting fixed it for me. How on earth did you manage to discover this fix? What led you to think it would be the default QoS setting causing the problem? Regardless, many thanks for posting this fix. For reference my system Windows 10 64bit AIO based on a Gigabyte motherboard with internal Intel WiFi 11n.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a different problem than the OP (my network wasn't disappearing it was just so slow that speedtest measured it in Kbps, on my brand new desktop) and this immediately fixed it. Thanks!

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Genius you saved me

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I thank you a thousandfold.
I was so frustrated trying to solve this problem, and you fixed it in the blink of an eye.
I've spent 5 long hours trying to fix this lol.

again thank you so much. happy holidays.
warmth, Roy

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.