Can't access some websites after installing Windows 10

After installing Windows 10 I'm unable to access some websites. I'm getting a timed out error saying the page couldnt be loaded because it took to long to respond. The website may be down or you may be experiencing issues with your internet connection. Neither of these are the case as I can access some sites no problem and have accessed the ones I can't from devices that haven't been upgraded yet.

I've already done the updates and still no luck.

What can I do to fix this and if I can't fix it how do I un-install Windows 10??? These are sites I use quite often and I need to be able to access them.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

How are you trying to access the sites? Is it through Internet Explorer or some other browsers?

If you are facing this issue with Internet Explorer then follow the steps below:

This issue may occur either due to corrupt Internet explorer add-ons or incorrect Internet explorer settings.

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run Internet explorer performance troubleshooter and check. Please follow these steps.

a. Press Windows + W keys, type troubleshooting in the search box and press Enter.
b. Click "View all" and then click "Internet Explorer Performance".
c. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

If it does not help, use method 2.

Method 2:

Please use suggestions provided in this Microsoft help article and check the issue.

Refer:

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

If the issue persist then you can follow this link below where Andre Da Costa discussed how to roll back to the previous version of Windows.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/downgrade-from-free-windows-10-to-windows-7windows/6191bbb1-6f87-4f02-b999-642adff13923

Thank You.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This is happening across multiple browsers and(Chrome and EDGE). Older versions of Cisco Anyconnect also have the same error.

BTW Windows W doesn't work

46 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the same issue on firefox/chrome/edge, also chrome has lost the ability to open incognito windows. Pretty irritating since I can't access Google, Youtube, Facebook...

613 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have had many issues with windows 10 including all of the issues mentioned above. I can't connect to skype, unable to log in to secured websites such as fullerton.edu., navyfederal.org., etc. The scaling display problem is by far the worst for me. Some programs have really small interfaces...so small that you literally need to use the magnifying glass tool to zoom. The windows 10 display settings DOES not help at all in fixing this scaling issue. There's basically a whole bunch of problems with Windows 10. The only thing I like is the new interface that looks like windows 7. I reported my issues by calling Microsoft and sent emails. The only responses are in fact exactly what Uttam Yadav (moderator) said. If everyone is having these same problems, why keep up with the robotic reply from Microsoft? Just a complete utter disappointment. I have to go back to Windows 8 and stick with the less miserable Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try running your browser as an administrator? It worked for me.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having pretty much the same problem, can't access FB, YT and Google but for some reason I can access sites like imgur, reddit, Bing, Piratebay(I only use it for public domain material Microsoft, I swear) but loging into programs doesn't seem to be a problem, and I also can't access the Windows Store "app".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After installing Windows 10 I'm unable to access some websites. I'm getting a timed out error saying the page couldnt be loaded because it took to long to respond. The website may be down or you may be experiencing issues with your internet connection. Neither of these are the case as I can access some sites no problem and have accessed the ones I can't from devices that haven't been upgraded yet.

What can I do to fix this and if I can't fix it how do I un-install Windows 10??? These are sites I use quite often and I need to be able to access them.

1. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters

2. Uninstall and reinstall your driver.

3. Done. (Might need to clear cache before revisiting the site.)

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters

2. Uninstall and reinstall your driver.

3. Done. (Might need to clear cache before revisiting the site.)

I had the same problem and could not get on several web sites. I have a dell computer that Microsoft forced an upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1.  My wife just got a Microsoft surface book which came with windows 10 and both computers could not access the same sites. I called my IT contact. He attached to my computer via "team viewer"  and we worked on the problem on my Dell for an hour or so. It made no sense to us that only a few websites didn't work. We thought the cookies from windows 8 could have gotten corrupted so we remove all of them. That didn't work. After further discussion we decided that logically because we had the same problem on two different computers maybe the problem was something to do with the Wi-Fi connection as that was the common element for both computers. I rebooted the Wi-Fi hub by turning it off and back on. Then I removed the Wi-Fi site from my computer and re logged on. The problem went away and I could log onto the sites that I was having problems with. I did the same thing to the Surface Book and it fix the problem on it as well. We have no idea what the technical reason why this worked but it did.   

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

July 7, 2016

(Wouldn't it be cool if everything that was on the internet had the date it was authored at the very beginning.)

I had this same problem when I upgraded my MSI GE60 to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

At the risk of demonstrating my inadequate knowledge of some of these topics, I'm hoping this can shorten your troubleshooting time.

This almost kept me from keeping my Windows 10 upgrade (which I like, and face it -  you can fight, but not win, so you might as well join them.  Kudos to those that still have the energy to fight!)  I actually rolled back to a restore point the first time I did the upgrade after hours of fighting this issue.  I decided to try it again after I downloaded a slew of Windows 10 drivers to cover all the various driver possibilities I thought I might encounter.  I had several missing drivers and had to use some Toshiba ones to get stuff to work. Note to self, just buy a Lenovo next time so driver support isn't such a pain in the neck.

Symptoms:

Unable to go to most, but not all,  common websites in Chrome, Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.

Windows Update not working.

Tried in both In-private mode and regular mode of IE11.

Internet Explorer would load my home page of Google, and would even show me search results from a search.  Clicking on 95% of the links would produce a cannot load page error.  5% loaded the next page, but further pages were again a 95% fail rate.

Microsoft Edge would load its homepage with current stories, so I knew my internet connection was working.

Clicking on 100% of the links from the Edge page failed to load.

Chrome would not even load my homepage of Google.  I was unable to load any webpages on Chrome.

I confirmed that I could ping, DNS was resolving names to IP addresses and reviewed the output of ipconfig /all.

What worked:

The last thing I tried was uninstalling all of the Cisco applications from Add/Remove Programs.

I wondered if Cisco might be trying to help and that the upgrade caused it to not allow some traffic.

I also went through and removed all other programs I had loaded which I was not using or that I could easily load again.  None of these others seemed like a potential problem, but since I was there it was time for cleanup.

Unfortunately, I uninstalled several other programs before I rebooted and tested again.  After so many failed tests, I got tired of doing a fresh boot after every single change to isolate exactly when it started to work.

Now all browsers work.  I also installed Firefox and it works as well.  Windows update works again.

Firewall, Windows Defender re-enabled. DNS servers set back to the default.  IPv6 re-enabled.

What I tried that didn't work: (flushed DNS and tested websites at each step)

I suspected this was a DNS issue, since some pages would load and others would not.

If deleting this Cisco AnyConnect programs doesn't fix your issue, try this list too.

Take a screenshot and paste it into a Word doc before you make each change so you have a history.

I searched on another computer and tried most everything I found that was suggested.

ipconfig /release,  ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns    ( I flushed the DNS often throughout my testing.)

Purpose: make sure bad DNS info wasn't being cached and to force a new lookup.

Changed DNS to Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  (rebooted after, ipconfig /all to confirm change)

Purpose: See if different DNS servers worked which would mean my DNS settings had a problem.

Disabled all network adapters except the WiFi that I was using.  Did a disable/enable cycle of WiFi.

Purpose: eliminate other potential complications.

Disabled firewall (Windows Firewall)

Purpose: Make sure I wasn't being blocked.

Disabled anti-virus (Windows Defender)

Purpose: Make sure I wasn't being blocked.

Deleted all browsing history.

Purpose: Make sure nothing was being cached and force fresh loads.

Cleared SSL state.

Purpose: Make sure nothing was being cached and force fresh loads.

Ensured no Proxy Server was being used. (Internet Properties/Connections/LAN Settings/ box unchecked.

Purpose: Make sure some software had not setup a proxy server.

Complete reset of Internet Explorer

Purpose: Running out of ideas.  Not likely the culprit since Chrome had the same issue.

Reviewed HOSTS file - all lines were commented out, exactly like a default HOSTS file.

Purpose: Since HOSTS is checked before DNS, it could be tainted and overriding specific sites.

Disabled IPv6

Purpose: Completely out of ideas.

</ideas>

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't help.  I have an Xfinity moden/router that is Ethernet connected to my desktop computer.  I unplugged it for 5 minutes, reconnected, deleted one of the websites that I get the "Can't reach this page" message at, rebooted the computer just to be safe and then typed in the website.  Got the same message.  If I access the site through another modem or through my Samsung S5 I am fine. 

Spent over 2 hours with the Geek Squad on this and they were not able to figure it out suggesting that I take my computer and modem into the store to "have it fixed there". 

This is a windows update issue.  Why can't they identify the problem and offer a fix.

Any thoughts on the next path?

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2024 Views 33,267 Applies to: