[BUG REPORT] Windows 10 Mail app ignores username when connecting to mail server, always uses mail address

Hello,

the Windows 10 Mail app seems to ignore the specified login name/username for a given mail account when connecting to a mail server. Instead it always uses the mail address even when a different login name was specified.

This makes it impossible to send mails via SMTP on mail servers which do not accept the mail address as login name (for example hosteurope).

Please Microsoft can you verify and fix the issue?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you post the query on Microsoft TechNet forum as we have experts working on such issues. You can refer to the link to post the same query on TechNet:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WinPreview2014General%2CWinPreview2015Phone&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried using Advanced Setup (you probably need to scroll down to see it). This allows you to specify an account name that is different from the login username.

Most new mail programs, such as Thunderbird or Lotus Notes make the assumption you described (likely using 'Other Account' button) as this is the most common configuration and allows them to find the server without asking you for its (sometimes extremely specific) details. My school email which is Google Enterprise (so those settings are automatically applied) needed manual configuration to go through a routing server and the above steps worked.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes the account was setup using the advanced setup and there I specified the proper user name.

But it seems when sending mails it still uses the provided mail address instead of the user name.

I always get this error then in the inbox:

Die Nachricht konnte nicht gesendet werden und wurde im Ordner "Entwürfe" abgelegt.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

i'm using HostEurope and Internet24, both are using acount names instead of  a mail adress. And i have the same issue. I can receive emails by imap, but the mail app can't sent mails.

My other accounts (Google, Yahoo) are working.

But the only error message is:

Die Nachricht konnte nicht gesendet werden und wurde im Ordner "Entwürfe" abgelegt.

No error code or logfile.

Best regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is fixed now after they released a new version (where a background image can be set).

But I had to remove and recreate the account before it started to work with the new version.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2018 Views 122 Applies to: